Director of Payroll
The Director of Payroll will play an integral role in realizing and facilitating the company’s goals and objectives for business growth and success. Responsible for overall management of the company’s payroll processing system including planning, decision-making, execution and control. Maintain direct supervision of corporate payroll staff, overseeing daily operations.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage the processing of the payroll function and related activities.
- Direct the efforts of the payroll department staff to ensure timely and accurate output.
- Develop and manage the payroll process between Corporation and outside service bureaus including Automatic Data Processing, Federal, State, City, County Taxation departments and other critical institutions.
- Implement payroll standards for practice and Home Office processing.
- Manage yearly budget process for Human Resources department.
- Ensure employee database integrity for benefits, payroll, etc. with Human Resources Dept.
- Work with Information Systems on problem solving issues and systems development. Work with Accounting and the audit functions to review current systems integrity and implement audit recommendations.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll data transfer, report information and timely resolution to questions with Accounting and Finance Departments.
- Oversee the maintenance and the storage of all company personnel files.
- Process and ensure accuracy of all pertinent quarterly and year-end records including W2s, workers compensation audits, 401(k) audit, etc.
- Manage the report inquiry and generation processes for all users.
- Document standard payroll procedures for the corporation and PCs.
- Document and update department procedures based on federal/state guidelines and corporation policies.
- Maintain proactive communication between the Home Office Staff and Senior Dental Directors, Regional Dental Directors, Dentists, Regional Practice Managers, Office Managers and Office Staff.
- Provide timely resolution to Centers regarding payroll processing error identification and correction.
- Provide education to Centers regarding payroll-processing procedures, best practices and system updates.
- Provide appropriate training and development to ensure optimal departmental performance.
- Review goals and objectives of individuals and department on a quarterly basis.
- Conduct performance reviews and provide feedback on individual objectives at least annually.
- A minimum of 10+ years of progressive Payroll management experience with automated payroll systems, preferably
- Strong communication skills with employees on all company levels (written and verbal)
- Proficient with ADP Payroll, Microsoft Excel and Word
- A minimum of 10+ years of management experience necessary
- Ability to manage staff in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent planning, leadership, organization, decision making and problem solving skills
Education / Credentials:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- CPP designation preferred
Job Related Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to develop and execute short and long-term payroll strategies that support and drive the business goals and objectives
- Adaptable, strategic thinker with a hands-on approach to achieving targets
- Proven ability to create innovative approaches
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a high energy, fast-paced and rapid growth environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with ease
- Strong results and process improvement orientation
- Excellent project and process management experience
- Customer service focus and the ability to influence and communicate at all levels within the organization
- Strong networking and influence capability
- Proven record of successfully working in a consultative manner with every level of internal and external customer, including executive and senior management
- Highly analytical abilities with strong business acumen and operational vision.
- Must utilize sound judgment, reliable rationale and common sense
- Must remain the voice of calm and exemplify professionalism and composure during stressful situations
- Results and resolution-oriented
- Champions continuous improvement of processes, individual capabilities and team expectations.
- Coaches, counsels and mentors staff as required.
- Provide technical and organizational leadership for the management of the function, sourcing techniques, best practices assessments, etc.
- Develop professional partnering relationships with organizations and/or educational institutions to assist in the discipline/function's strategy.
- Ensure compliance of internal processes, procedures and programs with internal policies and external regulations and requirements.
- Must be able to wear simultaneous “hats”…manager, coach, counselor, author, team-builder, trouble-shooter, facilitator, trainer, etc.
- Analyze and identify company employment trends, issues and resolutions and compare with benchmarking data of US national statistics, competitors, customers, etc.
- Ensures effective and accurate reporting for leadership and must appropriately analyze said data for identified trends, issues and areas for improvement.
- Exemplary communication skills…oral, written, presentations, analytical studies, strategy plans, etc.
- Strong leader of both people and culture programs and strategies
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory agencies and requirements
Must have a proven success and ability to:
- Convert strategic goals and objectives into implementable plans and programs.
- Benchmark and articulate industry trends and strategies through analyses, studies and industry relationships.
- Manage and coordinate allocated resources.
- Lead a team effectively with successful experience in conflict resolution, team building, interpersonal relationships, mentoring and motivating colleagues.
- Effectively manage multiple projects, deadlines and initiatives simultaneously with ease and the ability to re-prioritize quickly.
- Project and maintain a sense of calm into any challenging/difficult situation.
- Effectively resolve most difficult disputes and business challenges using highly refined functional, partnering and leadership skills.
- Ensure integration of planning and work across functional and business unit boundaries to maximize corporate-wide results.
- Utilize strong experiential and intuitive common sense and judgment.
- Thrive in a high-paced, dynamic and extremely energetic environment.
- Successfully work in a consultative manner with every level of internal and external customer, including executive and senior management.
- Office environment
- Expected to travel as needed
Meet Some of DentalOne Partners's Employees
Senior Vice President, Operations
Melissa partners with 59 practices in the West region to set each team up for success by making sure in-office Operations Teams and support services are ready for patients.
Back to top