Summer Academy Teacher
Summer Academy Teachers teach at Democracy Prep Summer Academy with the same level of urgency and dedication seen throughout the normal academic school year. Summer Academy teaching positions are available for teachers of all subjects across the K-12 continuum at our schools in New York. All curricular materials will be provided. Summer Academy in NY will be from July 8th to July 26th.
Who you are
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An outstanding classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A results-driven educator with experience in, and commitment to, the use of data analysis and assessments to drive instructional decisions and teacher accountability.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with 2 years of urban teaching experience and state certification (preferred).
- A teacher who is curious about teaching at DPPS and being a meaningful role model for our scholars.
- TFA Corps Members and Alumni are encouraged to apply.
What you’ll do:
- Teach core subject blocks to a small group of scholars, demonstrating best practices.
- Uses consistent school-wide practices and a variety of individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Creates, monitors, and sustains a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Provides structure in the classroom by developing and reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations.
- Communicates effectively and maintains strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
Members of the Democracy Prep DREAM Team are provided with a competitive stipend for teaching during Summer Academy.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
See Inside the Office of Democracy Prep Public Schools
Founded in 2005, Democracy Prep is on a mission to educate responsible citizen-scholars for a life of active citizenship. Built on a “no excuses” model, Democracy Prep’s network of schools serves over 5,000 scholars who prove year after year that demographics do not determine destiny, and that low-income students can be successful in the college of their choice.
Back to top