Speech and Language Pathologist (2018-19 School Year)
About Democracy Prep Pathways:
Democracy Prep Pathways partners with our middle schools to ensure that our students with the most significant academic challenges are able to achieve the mission of success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. We believe that in order for every scholar to realize this mission, we need to pair the no excuses methodology of high performing charter schools with new and innovative programming for our highest need scholars. Democracy Prep Pathways is built on five key components that enhance our model and ensure the success of our highest needs scholars:
- Targeted academic programming
- More individualized attention
- Social and emotional support
- Identifying passions and goal setting
- Emphasis on inclusion
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A graduate of a master’s degree program, who holds a valid New York State license in the area of Speech-Language Pathology and holds an initial or permanent Teacher of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities (TSSLD) certificate.
- Have two (2) years of relative experience with school-aged children.
What You’ll Do
- Administer both formal and informal assessments to screen/evaluate speech, language, and hearing abilities.
- Analyze and interprets information to make recommendations regarding the need for speech-language services.
- Provide appropriate information on an informal or formal basis regarding speech, language, and hearing programs.
- Develop students’ speech-language goals and treatment plans to address documented delays/deficits that impact students’ abilities to access the academic curriculum and meet grade-level standards
- Collaborate with classroom teachers in the management of speech-language disorders.
- Provide literacy and pragmatic interventions to students in a classroom setting.
- Develop appropriate IEPs based on students’ strengths and needs.
- Provide consultation to parents, teacher, and other appropriate school personnel.
- Continuously improve your professional practice through weekly coaching sessions, professional development, and data-driven reflection.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top