Special Education Manager
- New York, NY
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An organized manager with strong time management and follow-up skills and a demonstrated ability to take initiative and handle multiple projects concurrently.
- An excellent communicator, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively to a variety of stakeholders.
- A strong problem-solver, who thinks critically and plans strategically.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program.
- An educator with high school instruction or administration experience strongly preferred.
- A flexible professional with outstanding written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish (preferred).
- A proficient user of Microsoft Office and/or Google applications.
What You’ll Do
- Provide support and guidance to all school personnel on best practices for special education and English Language Learner (ELL) scholars. This includes, but is not limited to, interventions, scheduling, behavior support, data analysis, and enrichment.
- Stay aware of current academic services in place for special education and ELL scholars, including interventions, tutoring, frequently used in-class accommodations, modifications and modified schedules.
- Provide guidance, training, and professional development to school staff on special education and ELL instructional practices.
- Oversee professional development and provide support for all teachers and staff working with specialized populations at DPPS high schools.
- Work with internal parties to organize professional development workshops for Academic Collaboration teachers including network Academic Collaboration Managerial team and Campus Directors.
- Ensure teachers are utilizing best practices and implementing effective and appropriate curricula, in tandem with the network Academic Collaboration Team Managers.
- Review data to ensure that students receive targeted instruction or intervention and are closely monitored over time to determine if these students need additional supports and interventions.
- Maintain external partnerships with varying agencies on behalf of Democracy Prep’s most at-risk population of scholars.
- Update and maintain all special education and ELL data tracking systems to align with Democracy Prep’s data management processes.
- Create and maintain systems to organize all Academic Collaboration team programming, at the discretion of the Director of Special Education.
Salary range is commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top