Special Education Manager
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An organized manager with strong time management and follow-up skills and a demonstrated ability to take initiative and handle multiple projects concurrently.
- An excellent communicator, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively to a variety of stakeholders.
- A strong problem-solver, who thinks critically and plans strategically.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program.
- Somebody with administrative experience strongly preferred.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee professional development and provide instructional support for all teachers and staff working with specialized populations at our DC elementary and middle schools.
- Oversee Special Education and ELL compliance at our DC elementary and middle schools. This includes, but is not limited to, initial cases, annual and triennial reviews, Manifestation Determination Reviews, and all child find activities required under IDEA law.
- Organize and maintain parameters for workflow within the special education office on our DC campus.
- Oversee ADA compliance, 504 plans, and all accommodations plans inherent
- Manage related services, including but not limited to Speech and Language Therapies, Occupational Therapies, Physical Therapies, Applied Behavioral Analytics practices, and paraprofessionals.
- Maintain external partnerships with varying agencies on behalf of Democracy Prep’s most at-risk population of scholars, including the Office of the State Superintendent of Education and non-public placements.
- Update and maintain all special education data tracking systems to align with Democracy Prep’s data management processes.
- Report to our DC campus Executive Director and receive support from our network Academic Collaboration Team.
Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top