The mission of Democracy Prep Public Schools is to educate all scholars to be successful in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. To help meet this mission, our Social Workers work closely with scholars to constantly improve their mental and emotional well-being, preparing them for success both inside and outside of the classroom. Working with school leadership and the scholar support team, the Social Worker will serve as the link between our schools, families, and community.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A state-certified school social worker with a passion for counseling youth and providing individualized interventions and support.
- An excellent communicator, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively to a variety of stakeholders.
- A graduate of a master’s degree program in social work with a LMSW (required).
What You’ll Do
- Provide individual and group counseling mandates to our scholars/families.
- Help scholars cope with personal and psychological issues that affect their school performance, behavior, and socialization.
- Provide information for and/or referrals to outside support services or agencies to help scholars deal with economic, emotional, or physical challenges.
- Assess scholar independent functioning skills and make possible referrals to outpatient treatment/counseling/support options.
- Assess possible abuse and neglect cases and report them to appropriate emergency intervention organizations.
- Assist teachers and administrators in dealing with behavioral issues by communicating with scholars to find the causes of their distress.
- Develop and implement professional development training for educational staff and parents as requested.
- Attend and participate in manifestation meetings, as required.
Salary range is $45,000 - $50,000 commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B retirement savings, parental leave, and tuition reimbursement.
Back to top