Scholar Support Specialist
About Democracy Prep Pathways:
Democracy Prep Pathways partners with our middle schools to ensure that our students with the most significant academic challenges are able to achieve the mission of success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. We believe that in order for every scholar to realize this mission, we need to pair the no excuses methodology of high performing charter schools with new and innovative programming for our highest need scholars. Democracy Prep Pathways is built on five key components that enhance our model and ensure the success of our highest needs scholars:
- Targeted academic programming
- More individualized attention
- Social and emotional support
- Identifying passions and goal setting
- Emphasis on inclusion
About the Position
The Scholar Support Specialist is responsible for ensuring that all scholars are meeting our high behavioral expectations and maximizing their learning time. The individual in this role will work closely with scholars, staff members, families and external services providers to support the reduction or elimination of factors that have a negative impact on a scholar's ability to meet behavioral and academic expectations.
Who We're Looking For
First and foremost, we're looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Beyond that, we want people who are hungry, humble, and smart. Our Behavior Support Specialists are people with a passion for mentoring youth and helping them navigate a "no excuses" student culture.
What does the Scholar Support Specialist do?
- Point Person for Behavioral Response to Intervention (RtI) escalations/de-escalations
- Gather and synthesize scholar behavior data by creating Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA)
- Facilitate Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)
- Communicate BIP to appropriate staff members, create a progress monitoring system and ensure that the BIP is being followed with the highest level of fidelity
- Communicate with parents concerning discipline decisions, conduct scholar/family reentry meetings and meet with parents regarding discipline decision grievances
- Analyze whole school data, communicate trends to school leaders and Grade Level Leaders and work with them to develop relevant interventions
- Lead on all things related to mandated reporting
- Point of contact for external service provider that support our scholar's social emotional and behavioral
- Create, monitor and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Implement consistent school-wide management practices for all students and individualized management plans incorporating discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations.
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic and social progress of all students.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers and administrators.
- Passionately dedicated to Democracy Prep's mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice and active citizenship.
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor/Master's degree
- 1-2 years of experience in Social Work/Counseling preferred
- Experience working in an educational environment
Incoming salary range is $55,000 - $65,000 commensurate with your experience.
Members of the Democracy Prep DREAM Team are provided with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, and the technology necessary to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top