Principal (2021-2022 School Year)
- Camden, NJ
Who You Are
- A leader and education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for all scholars, especially those with significant challenges. You have an innate or highly-developed ability to set a vision across an entire school and motivate others towards achieving the vision.
- A highly effective teacher who has a clear track record of raising student achievement in a classroom for at least four years.
- A self-reflective and self-aware leader who is dedicated to aligning their school to Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- An educator who values diverse perspectives and is committed to empowering young people and to lifting up and working alongside communities.
- An expert at translating academic standards and state assessment requirements into effective instructional design.
- A coach with demonstrated success in building and developing the leadership capacity in others. A current or former principal or assistant principal who has led in New Jersey (preferred).
- An excellent writer and skilled orator – ability to easily connect with students, families, and staff and effectively tailor communication to multiple stakeholder groups.
- A data-informed leader, adept at data analysis; ability to extract meaningful insights across school wide data. A constant learner who is willing to reevaluate one’s understanding based on new information and data.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program and New Jersey principal certification (required). Master’s degree in related field (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Oversee a Freedom Prep campus and serve as its educational leader, charged with shaping the instructional vision and school culture.
- Establish and promote a positive culture of high expectations and high support, continuous improvement, and a relentless focus on academic achievement for scholars and staff.
- Drive the instructional programs of the school: provide targeted coaching and professional development for teachers, evaluate and set goals for teachers, review lesson plans, and model effective instructional strategies.
- Manage, evaluate, and implement clear and effective procedures for the operation and functioning of the school including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, and discipline systems.
- Actively monitor student and staff growth through collection of formal and informal data; use data to inform short and long-term strategic plans of the school.
- Establish the annual master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for scholars consistent with the school’s instructional goals.
- Plan and execute weekly staff professional development that improves teacher practice and scholar achievement
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top