About the Opportunity
A school's operations team is an essential part of the effort to achieve Democracy Prep's mission. The Operations Manager acts as the head of this team, working with school leadership to make sure things are consistently running smoothly and efficiently in order to let our teachers focus on our scholars. This person works in a number of different areas throughout the school and is able to form relationships with parents and scholars without having to engage in direct instruction. We are looking for someone to act as a non-instructional leader on campus, supporting our teachers, families, and scholars on the road to college.
The Operations Manager will work with the school's Principal or Assistant Principal on a daily basis while receiving guidance from the charter management organization (CMO), Democracy Prep Public Schools. Depending on the structure of the school, the Operations Manager may report to the Principal, Assistant Principal, or Executive Director.
Who We're Looking For
In general, you should be hungry, humble, and smart. You will be working with a gritty team of professionals who are dedicated to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Ideally, you are:
- An experienced manager of a team with three or more like-minded individuals, or someone who is ready to make the jump into management.
- An opportunist who can turn a challenge into a strength.
- Comfortable with handling the research and communication necessary to find or create the perfect system (arrival/dismissal/lunch service/etc!).
- Data-driven, ensuring the accuracy of all information flowing from the team and to teachers, leaders, families, scholars, and the CMO.
- Fearless in searching for the best way to support our teachers and scholars, taking the words "This is how we've always done it." and turning them into "We can do this better!"
- Committed to the growth of the team you run by encouraging skills acquisition while holding everyone to high standards.
What Does the Operations Manager Do?
- Manage a team of four operations team members, typically a Registrar, Operations/Technology Associate, Family Support Specialist, and Receptionist.
- Collaborate with the onsite Principal to create and actualize a complete vision for the school.
- Ensure the health and safety of all individuals on site.
- Establish procedures for day-to-day operations of the school, which may include arrival, dismissal, food service, and family interactions.
- Liaise with all CMO departments such as School Support, Data, Finance, Communications and Academics.
- Monitor the accuracy of the school's data within the network's Student Information Systems (SIS) and state required databases.
- Maintain school compliance with relevant federal, state, and local non-instructional statutes, including but not limited to health and fire code.
- Build respectful and professional relationships with other stakeholders in the building, which may be shared with another school or entity, while representing the best interests of our scholars.
- Create and execute event plans involving the school facilities or its scholars.
- Any other tasks necessary (short of actually teaching a class) to ensure that a school is running with no interference within instruction.
Required Core Competencies
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- One or more years as an operations manager for a school, or two or more years of school based experience
- Fluency in the Microsoft Office suite and/or Google Apps suite
- Comfort with manipulating data in Excel
- Excellent communication skills with a large variety of stakeholders, especially in emergencies or other difficult situations
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Teaching experience preferred, but not required
Salary is commensurate with your experience.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top