About Democracy Prep Pathways
Democracy Prep Pathways partners with our middle schools to ensure that our students with the most significant academic challenges are able to achieve the mission of success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. We believe that in order for every scholar to realize this mission, we need to pair the no excuses methodology of high performing charter schools with new and innovative programming for our highest need scholars. Democracy Prep Pathways is built on five key components that enhance our model and ensure the success of our highest needs scholars:
- Targeted academic programming
- More individualized attention
- Social and emotional support
- Identifying passions and goal setting
- Emphasis on inclusion
About the Position
The occupational therapist's job responsibilities include but are not limited to therapy, student evaluations, IEP development, teacher consultation, and providing services for students in self-contained classrooms
What does the Occupational Therapist do?
- Serve as the school-based occupational therapist for assessment and implementation of individualized education programs (IEPs) for scholars with special needs in assigned schools.
- Develop individualized goals and objectives to facilitate eligible scholar's active participation and acquisition of functional performance skills.
- Prepare both written and oral reports, and presentations for determining student's eligibility for special education services.
- Utilize direct and indirect services, assistive technology and/or environmental modifications to implement special educational programming to provide for the development of sensory-motor, perceptual or neuromuscular functioning and emotional, motivational, cognitive, or psychosocial performance.
- Maintain confidential files which include assessments, reviews, test results, IEPs, and documentation of consultations.
- Track Individualized Educational Program goals
- Adding and supporting a sensory component to the reflection time when a scholars leaves class for a period of time.
- Completing a Sensory Profile on each scholar to better support scholars who would benefit from a sensory diet.
- Consult with staff, parents, and community resources.
- Participate in planning team meetings for scholars and discuss scholars' response to OT treatment; make recommendations to enhance scholars' function in other areas; and may make or recommend referrals to other disciplines as appropriate.
- NYS certification
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers and administrators.
- A strong knowledge of evidence-based practices, data collection, and Response to Intervention.
- Passionately dedicated to Democracy Prep's mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice and active citizenship.
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor/Master's degree
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in Occupational Therapy. Applicants with additional years of experience are welcomed
- Experience working in an educational environment
Members of the Democracy Prep DREAM Team are provided with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, and the technology necessary to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top