Music Academy Teacher (Part-Time)
- New York, NY
Part-time Music Academy teachers work with Democracy Prep’s Arts Education Director to expand the reach and impact of the DP Music Academy through after-school/evening virtual and/or in-person classes, small-group and private instruction.
Who You Are
- You hold a deep commitment to empowering Music and Arts education, grounded specifically in popular music styles, songwriting and musical theatre.
- You hold an unwavering commitment to educational equity in and think critically about factors that impact access to robust opportunities to Music Education in the communities DP serves.
- A dedicated classroom/studio and/or virtual teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program in Instrumental Music or Music Education (required).
What You’ll Do
- Implement the Music Academy curriculum, grounded in the HookTheory software platform and essential skill sets for songwriting and performing in popular music genres, including: chord-based approach to keyboard and/or guitar playing, arranging, melody-writing, lyric-writing, analyzing song structure, applying principles of music theory to songwriting, and more.
- Thought-partner with Arts Education Director around evolving the curriculum based on demand, and potentially writing new units and lessons.
- Teach small-group and/or private virtual keyboard and/or guitar lessons to scholars who qualify for additional opportunities.
- Through regular reflection and check-ins, work with Arts Education Director to identify highly effective methods for engaging and empowering students, and showcasing their progress publicly.
- Contribute representative samples of student work for DPPS Arts virtual and in-person showcases.
- Evaluate musical achievement through regular analysis of student performance and maintain up-to-date attendance and grading records for all participants.
- Work to ensure that scholars enjoy a classroom culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Communicate effectively and build strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Develop and maintain positive, strong virtual classroom culture.
- Private studio, ensemble, and/or classroom Music-teaching experience required.
- Some experience teaching Music virtually preferred.
- 2-3 years experience playing/teaching piano or guitar required. Both is ideal.
- Basic fluency in functions of entry-level digital audio workstations (i.e. GarageBand, BandLab, etc.) required.
- 2-3 years experience in songwriting (practice and teaching) preferred.
- Experience performing/directing/writing for Musical Theatre preferred.
- 4 hours split across two weeknights with at least one day in between. (M & W/Th; Tues & Th/Fri)
- 2 30-minute weekly piano/guitar lessons for small groups of students (TBD based on student/teacher schedules)
- Approximately 90 minutes of grading & meeting time each week.
- Hourly rate is $30/hr.
- Annual contract is for up to 290 hours, with an average weekly allotment of 7 hours/week.
- Background check and clearance required.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top