Middle School Arts Teacher - Immediate Hire
About the Opportunity
Our approach to arts education in elementary school is focused on breadth of study in the arts and many varied experiences in art and art making. In middle school, our scholars focus on depth of study in the arts through rigorous, structured courses that develop skills in performance and art making, history, theory, and arts literacy. All middle school arts courses culminate with a public presentation/performance, written course exam, and performance assessment. Finally, when our scholars reach high school, the focus shifts towards college readiness in the arts through rigorous, leveled arts courses that prepare scholars for college entrance exams, college auditions, and/or portfolio submission.
At all levels, we combine both skills-based learning and teaching and the Aesthetic Education approach in partnership with Lincoln Center Education to create a well-rounded arts education continuum. Differentiated arts professional development opportunities exist throughout the school year both in the network and with external arts education organizations, conferences, and/or specialized sessions. All Democracy Prep arts courses are based on the National Core Arts Standards and best practices within the specific arts discipline.
Who We're Looking For
First and foremost, we're looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Beyond that, we want people who are hungry, humble, and smart. Our teachers are people with a passion for education and the drive to make real change in our system.
What does a Teacher do?
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum.
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, and other instructional materials and methods.
- Use consistent school-wide practices and individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Classroom Management
- Create, monitor, and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Provide structure in the classroom by developing and reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations.
- Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without excuses or exceptions.
- Data Analysis
- Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
- Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance.
- Student Support and School Culture
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Develop and maintain positive, strong classroom culture.
- Results-driven educator with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions.
- Outstanding classroom teacher who has demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains.
- Manager of an urban classroom who has used discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success.
- Desire to be held accountable for student academic growth and academic results.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers.
- Technological proficiency with a basic understanding of data analysis.
- Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
- Ambitious nature interested in growing as an educator and reaching high standards professionally.
- Committed to getting the job done well, no matter what the obstacles or how long it takes.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and core values of Democracy Prep.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred
- At least two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Certification in subject area preferred
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top