About the Opportunity
The Legal Associate will work closely with the General Counsel of Democracy Prep Public Schools to ensure that the best interests of the network are protected. Although the Legal Associate will work at the Democracy Prep Public Schools main office in New York City, the network is comprised of twenty-one schools (across five states) and legal support for all the schools is a must.
The Legal Associate will assist with legal and policy research, including but not limited to non-profit, education, and employment law and policy. The Legal Associate will also support the network with contracts, compliance, transactions, drafting legal memoranda, subpoena responses, risk management and help with reporting requirements as well as litigation when it arises.
Who We’re Looking For
First and foremost, we are looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission.
Beyond that, we want people who are hungry for knowledge, humble, and diligent. Ideally, you are someone who wants the freedom to grow, with the judgment to make quick decisions and who is not afraid of direct responsibility and wants to develop the tools to be a trusted counselor and advisor.
What will the Legal Associate do?
- Perform multi-state legal research as required in, among other areas, education law, special education, state budgets, employment, labor, and not-for-profit governance multi-state.
- Become an expert on compliance and the charter law in particular states.
- Assist the General Counsel with document requests, including discovery, subpoena and law-enforcement requests.
- In collaboration with the legal team, provide legal assistance to school leaders and CMO staff when requested.
- Independently handle compliance, governance and transactional work.
- Provide timely assistance of contract management, review and drafting.
- Review and draft policies and procedures as needed.
- Collaborate with other departments and lead long-term special projects to completion.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- J.D. required
- Currently admitted, and in good standing, to Bar in New York State. Admittance to the NJ bar is a plus.
- 3-5 years of relevant and/or transferrable legal experience including experience directly advising clients, being a decision maker; court, negotiating, or investigations experience a plus
- Strong people, research, writing, problem solving, and analytical abilities.
- A specialization in any of the following areas: not-for-profit law, employment, education, contracts, or compliance is desirable.
- A strong team player who has the willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- A skilled communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and unquestionable integrity.
- Spanish or French language skills a plus.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertise, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top