Instructional Aide (Full Time)
About the Position
The Instructional Aide works with an instructional team consisting of the lead teacher, a special education teacher and/or ACT Coordinator. This dedicated team player may work to support the program, ensuring consistency for identified scholars throughout the day. This individual provides individual instructional and behavioral support for scholars with Individualized Educational Plans (IEP) using intensive, research-based strategies under the direct supervision of the lead teacher, the special education teacher and/or the ACT Coordinator.
What Does the Instructional Aide do?
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
- Assists the certified staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Monitors work, corrects papers, and supervises curriculum-based tasting and makeup work as assigned by the certified staff.
- Serves as the chief source of information and help to any guest teacher assigned in the absence of the regular certified staff.
- Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by the certified staff.
- Alerts the certified staff to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods, and on field trips.
- Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack time, bathroom, and clothing routines.
- When requested, serves as a resource person to the Academic Collaboration Team in Response to Intervention, IEP/504, and/or ELL efforts.
- Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in school environment and community.
- Participates in in-service training programs as approved.
- Maintains safe working environment and encourages colleagues to be safety minded in the performance of all school-related duties.
- Performs other such duties/assignments as directed by the certified staff.
- Assists as directed by certified staff in the effort to successfully maintain students with special needs in an integrated setting, as determined by the IEP/Title 1/ESL Team(s).
- Aptitude for the work to be performed.
- Interest in children and education.
- Desire to assist students with special needs in a rigorous, college preparation learning environment.
- Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work involved.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board/School finds appropriate and acceptable.
Education and Work Experience
- Associate's degree required.
Incoming salary is $24,960.
Members of the Democracy Prep DREAM Team are provided with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, and the technology necessary to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top