Founding High School PACE Special Educator (2019-20 School Year)
The mission of our schools is to educate our scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. Core to achieving this mission is educating global citizens with a rigorous education that values neurodiversity and provides the appropriate educational setting for all scholars. With this in mind, we are seeking a special educator with experience teaching in a special class setting, such as a 12:1 or 15:1 classroom, to found the high school PACE (Plan for Advocacy and Collaborative Education) program at our Bronx campus and ensure that we are meeting the academic, behavioral and emotional needs of all our high school scholars.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college and post-secondary success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An outstanding special education classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A results-driven instructor with experience in, and commitment to, the use of data analysis and assessments to drive instructional decisions and teacher accountability.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with 2 years of special class setting teaching experience (ideal) and NY State certification (required). Please note that if you are not currently NY State certified in special education, you will need to acquire certification (transitional, initial, or professional) before your start date.
What You’ll Do
- Create, monitor, and sustain a disciplined high school 12:1 program and contribute to a school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Modify, accommodate, or adapt pre-existing 12:1 materials created by our Harlem PACE program.
- Manage the caseload of 12:1 scholars through writing and implementing IEPs and collaborating with families and district teams to ensure all student needs are met.
- Collaborate closely with ACT (special education) and general education teachers as well as service providers to provide comprehensive supports for scholars.
- Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice, as well as behavioral modifications and accommodations and social and emotional supports.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues.
- Continuously improve your professional practice through weekly coaching sessions, professional development, and data-driven reflection.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertise, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
See Inside the Office of Democracy Prep Public Schools
Founded in 2005, Democracy Prep is on a mission to educate responsible citizen-scholars for a life of active citizenship. Built on a “no excuses” model, Democracy Prep’s network of schools serves over 5,000 scholars who prove year after year that demographics do not determine destiny, and that low-income students can be successful in the college of their choice.
Back to top