Who You Are
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An outstanding classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations through high support.
- A self-reflective and self-aware teammate who is dedicated to aligning their classroom to Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A results-driven assessor with experience in and commitment to the use of data analysis to drive instructional decisions and teacher accountability.
- A professional with deep content-area expertise, who engages scholars with differentiation and strong execution of high-quality curriculum and prepares rigorous and engaging lessons through strong lesson planning.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with 2 years of urban teaching experience and state certification (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Work to ensure that scholars enjoy a classroom culture characterized by high expectations and high support.
- Create an inclusive classroom and school community by engaging in training, reflection, and dialogue around issues of race, identity, diversity, equity, and inclusion for our staff and scholars.
- Plan and prepare for effective implementation of a coherent, research-based curriculum.
- Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
- Maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues through effective and frequent communication.
- Continuously improve your professional practice through weekly coaching sessions, professional development, and collaborative, data-driven reflection with department and grade-level teams.
- Cultivate the social-emotional well-being of all scholars by building a positive classroom culture that employs high expectations, high support, and leverages strong partnerships with scholars, their families, and the school's scholar support team.
- Foster a life of active citizenship for all scholars through the implementation of age-appropriate conversations and activities centered on current events, participation in community service and outreach opportunities, and active celebration of scholars' culture, heritage, and identity.
- Engage in whole-school events and tasks, including transitions, family conferences, tutoring, and other activities/duties as needed and assigned by school leadership.
Our salary schedule is commensurate with experience and starts at $63,480 for a first-year uncertified teacher and $69,000 for a first-year certified teacher. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep Public Schools is requiring vaccination against COVID-19 for all NY employees. All new hires joining a Democracy Prep New York Charter School must have at minimum the first dose of the vaccine and a scheduled appointment for a second appointment (for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines) in order to start employment at Democracy Prep. Proof of both must be submitted before the new hire begins employment.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.