Founding Bilingual Elementary School Teacher (Immediate Hire)
Founding Bilingual Teacher
The mission of our schools is to educate our scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. Core to achieving this mission is educating global citizens with a rigorous education that values multilingualism, multiliteracy, and multiculturalism. With this in mind, we are looking for bilingual teachers to help found our bilingual program in Camden and ensure that we are meeting the needs of all of our scholars.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An outstanding classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A results-driven instructor with experience in, and commitment to, the use of data analysis and assessments to drive instructional decisions and teacher accountability.
- A fully bilingual (Spanish and English) math or reading educator with a passion for encouraging bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism in our scholars as a vehicle for global citizenship.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with 2 years of urban teaching experience and state certification (preferred). Please note that if you are not currently NJ State certified in both your content area and as a bilingual teacher, you will need to acquire certification before your start date.
What You’ll Do
- Create, monitor, and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Implement a coherent, research-based bilingual math and/or reading curriculum with support from our network ELL Manager.
- Collaborate closely with ELL teachers to provide comprehensive supports for scholars.
- Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues.
- Continuously improve your professional practice through weekly coaching sessions, professional development, and data-driven reflection.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop. Along with participating in the mandatory NJ Pension Plan, employees have the choice of enrolling in a pre-tax 403b or post-tax Roth with Democracy Prep.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
See Inside the Office of Democracy Prep Public Schools
Founded in 2005, Democracy Prep is on a mission to educate responsible citizen-scholars for a life of active citizenship. Built on a “no excuses” model, Democracy Prep’s network of schools serves over 5,000 scholars who prove year after year that demographics do not determine destiny, and that low-income students can be successful in the college of their choice.
Back to top