Elementary Arts Teacher (2018-19 School Year)
About our K-12 Arts Program:
Our approach to arts education in elementary school is focused on breadth of study in the arts and many varied experiences in art and art making. In middle school, our scholars focus on depth of study in the arts through rigorous, structured courses that develop skills in performance and art making, and a foundational knowledge base in the history and theoretical components of each art form. All middle school arts courses culminate with a public presentation/performance, written course exam, and performance assessment. Finally, when our scholars reach high school, the focus shifts towards college readiness in the arts through rigorous, leveled arts courses that prepare scholars for college entrance exams, college auditions, and/or portfolio submission.
At all levels, we combine skills-based learning and teaching and the Aesthetic Education approach in partnership with Lincoln Center Education. This two-pronged approach forms the basis for a well-rounded arts education continuum that explicitly incorporates discipline-specific training, essential knowledge toward artistic literacy, and creative growth. Differentiated arts professional development opportunities exist throughout the school year both in the network and with external arts education organizations, at conferences and/or specialized sessions. All Democracy Prep arts courses are based on the National Core Arts Standards and best practices within the specific arts discipline.
Who You Are
- A systems-oriented educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An outstanding classroom teacher who holds scholars to consistently high behavioral and academic expectations.
- A results-driven educator with the drive to make real change in our educational system and who is hungry, humble, and smart
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with 2 years of urban teaching experience and state certification (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum.
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, and other instructional materials and methods.
- Use consistent school-wide practices and individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Create, monitor, and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Provide structure in the classroom by developing and reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations.
- Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without excuses or exceptions.
- Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
- Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Develop and maintain positive, strong classroom culture.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top