ELA Curriculum Specialist
About the Opportunity
The ELA Curriculum Specialist works with the Director of K-12 Curriculum to develop and organize ELA curriculum and assessments for campuses across New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Baton Rouge, and Las Vegas. The ELA Curriculum Specialist will also provide support to teachers through professional development geared towards addressing instructional practices. This person will work collaboratively on a team of Curriculum Specialists across different content areas with the goal of providing high quality, standards-aligned curricular materials for immediate use in the classroom.
Who We're Looking For
First and foremost, we're looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Beyond that, we want people who are hungry, humble, and smart.
What does the ELA Curriculum Specialist do?
- Responsible for the development and implementation of curriculum aligned with Common Core standards, student and teacher performance objectives, curriculum standards and proficiencies in various subjects.
- Directs the development, evaluation, and revision of curriculum. Coordinates and articulates curriculum among and between different grade levels and teachers.
- Responsible for the development and evaluation of internal assessments aligned to NYS exams and PARCC.
- Responsible for the formulation, planning, and implementation of the professional development program for instructional staff.
- Works alongside Curriculum Specialists in other subject areas to ensure alignment of content across grades and content areas.
- Works with the Director of K-12 Curriculum in the evaluation of instructional materials, including textbooks, digital resources, library/media acquisitions, and other instructional materials.
- Provides leadership in developing plans for instructional research; pilot studies for curriculum, instruction, and technology; and new courses of study.
- Responsible for assessing results of programs and addressing areas in need of improvement.
- Advanced degree in curriculum development preferred.
- High school experience preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in curriculum development preferred.
- Prior curriculum development or instructional coaching experience preferred.
- Direct classroom or instructional leadership experience preferred.
- Demonstrated willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top