Director of Operations (2021-2022 School Year)
- New York, NY
About the Opportunity
The mission of our schools is to ensure that our scholars receive the most rigorous education. Core to achieving this mission is smooth operations that support all stakeholders’ ability to educate our scholars. Reporting to the Network Director of Operations, with direct input from school principals, the Director of Operations will support a purview of New York schools to ensure systematic, proactive, and efficient operations on behalf of scholars, families, staff, and the Democracy Prep network. The Director of Operations spends the vast majority of his/her time in schools, but also will spend time at Democracy Prep’s central office and working remotely.
Who You Are
- An experienced leader and education equity advocate with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A highly effective coach of other team leaders who can strategically balance direct support, motivation, and accountability.
- An operational expert who can effectively develop and leverage relationships with leaders and peers.
- A data-driven leader who is comfortable with handling the research and communication necessary to find, create, or guide others to the perfect system.
- An exceptional project manager who can take an idea and turn it into a complete and detailed plan, considerate of all stakeholders and context.
- An exceptional organizer who can keep track of short- and long-term plans to make challenging decisions of prioritization on a daily basis.
What You’ll Do
- Support school and operations leaders across a purview of 2-4 Democracy Prep schools, implementing network-wide and region-wide operational priorities and ensuring they take root, and creating a culture of safety and accountability, while taking into account the local context of each individual school leader and school.
- Coach and motivate school operations teams on the execution of student enrollment, emergency preparedness, data management, compliance, food service, attendance, arrival and dismissal, transportation, family engagement, facility cleanliness and decor, assessment administration, and supply and technology management, as well as other campus-specific specialties
- Develop the capacity and leadership skills of school-based Operations Managers through individual coaching, training, and goal-setting.
- Author and lead professional development sessions and training for operations staff that drive the vision and goals of the network operations team.
- With the School Leader and Operations Manager, use empirical and anecdotal data to assess, develop, improve, and monitor school-based operations systems that efficiently support staff, scholars, and families.
- Actively monitor the accuracy of school data within state-required databases and internal information systems, and urgently problem-solve issues in collaboration with school teams.
- Maintain school and network compliance with relevant federal, state, and local non-instructional statutes, including but not limited to enrollment, student health, attendance, and school safety.
- Prepare and analyze data reports for school and operations leaders, and train operations leaders to do the same as needed.
- Build respectful and professional relationships and partnerships with other stakeholders in the building, community, and network that represent the best interests of our scholars, and ensure school operations leaders are equipped and coached to do the same.
- Work in collaboration with peer Directors of Operations to push forward region operational priorities and serve as support to peer Directors of Operations in a to-be-determined area of expertise.
- Ensure that systems, protocols and policies are well documented and easily accessible to all stakeholders. Clear communication is essential to ensuring smooth operations!
- Proactively manage relationships with important vendors and partners, including support of necessary escalations by school teams.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Network Director of Operations.
Salary range starts at $76,000 and is commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top