Democracy Prep Teaching Residency (2020-2021 School Year)
About the Opportunity
Democracy Prep Public Schools Teaching Residency is a one-year pathway for recent college graduates and career changers aspiring to become teachers at Democracy Prep. If you’re interested in becoming a teacher but would like to receive high level coaching before leading your own classroom, then Democracy Prep’s Teacher Residency Program might be perfect for you. Our Teacher Residency Program offers a meaningful mentoring experience, impactful coaching, hands-on development, rigorous training and personal support. We are committed to assisting our Teacher Residents transition successfully into the strongest teachers to become a change agent in the lives of children.
During your residency year, you will work with a Mentor Teacher who will provide coaching and support to develop your classroom presence and teaching skills. You will have opportunities to observe excellent teaching and practice teaching in one-to-one, small group and whole group settings.
In addition to being immersed with Democracy Prep teaching practices and professional development, you will be a part-time student at Relay Graduate School of Education’s (GSE) two-year Teaching Residency Program. As a student at Relay GSE, you will work towards becoming a certified teacher while you earn your master’s degree with a fully subsidized tuition. Through our partnership with Relay GSE, you will learn, practice and perform proven teaching techniques that you can implement while in the classroom. Our Teacher Residency Program is designed to provide you with the mentoring and professional development necessary to prepare you to become a lead teacher the following year.
Elements of our Teaching Residency
- Observations of high level instruction and debriefs
- Co-teaching, one-on-one, small group, and whole group teaching
- Classroom prepping, lesson planning, and grading with support from your mentor teacher
- Frequent check-ins with your mentor teacher and instructional coach
- Relay GSE classes and accompanying coursework to bolster classroom instruction
- School-related responsibilities and duties as assigned
Successful completion of our Teaching Residency Program leads to:
- New York State Initial Certification
- Lead Teaching Placement within the Democracy Prep network in year 2
- Masters of Arts from Relay GSE at the end of year 2 (fully subsidized tuition)
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Democracy Prep Public Schools
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- Desire to prepare for a successful and meaningful career in teaching
- Critical thinking, organizational, and problem solving skills
- A willingness and professional attitude towards learning and growing as an educator through collaboration and receiving and implementing feedback
- Acceptance to Relay GSE’s two-year Teaching Residency Program
Democracy Prep Public Schools Teaching Residents are provided with a salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed as an educator in our organization.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top