About the Opportunity
Democracy Prep is looking for a self-motivated person who is passionate about working with an organization that is trying to change the world. This person knows that expanding a community's access to a great education is social justice issue and to that end, is committed to educating communities about options available to them. The Community Organizer will play an integral role in recruitment and enrollment at Democracy Prep by building relationships with communities and supporting enrollment at our schools.
Who We're Looking For
First and foremost, we're looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Beyond that, we want people who are hungry, humble, and smart. Our Community Organizers are personable, persuasive, and are skilled and comfortable with traditional person-to-person organizing. As a result of this mindset, they have experience building relationships with communities and inspiring them to action.
What does the Community Organizer do?
The Community Organizer accomplishes this work by:
- Recruiting students within the community by canvassing the area via:
- Tabling and approaching people
- Building relationships with small-business owners, community-based organizations and other learning institutions as needed
- Collecting and recording data about their interactions and experiences in the community
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Experience working on a political or issues-based campaign preferred
- Experience canvassing in urban communities/person-to-person organizing
- Humility, comfort and excitement about speaking to new people
- Deep knowledge about their community in which they will organize
- Flexibility in work schedule and an ability to manage time independently
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish and/or French
Members of the Democracy Prep DREAM Team are provided with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, and the technology necessary to succeed.
Democracy Prep Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants including women, people of color, LGBT people and seniors are encouraged to apply.
Additionally, we are always excited to invest in the communities in which we educate, and the perspectives and expertise the people therein. We strongly encourage our neighbors to apply!
Meet Some of Democracy Prep Public Schools's Employees
Amanda manages all of the back-of-house operations that are needed to run Harlem Prep Elementary School, one of Democracy Prep’s K-5 schools, every day.
Back to top