Bilingual Teaching Assistant (Immediate Hire)
- Camden, NJ
Who You Are
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A self-reflective and self-aware teammate who is dedicated to aligning their work to Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to use these skills to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- An aspiring teacher with experience in youth development, camp counseling, tutoring, or other scholar-facing environments.
- A flexible professional who feels comfortable making quick adjustments in the constantly changing and uncertain landscape of the 2020-21 school year.
- A fully bilingual (Spanish and English) educator with a passion for encouraging bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism in our scholars as a vehicle for global citizenship.
- A collaborative teammate who is eager to support teachers in the implementation of a safe, inclusive, and productive learning environment.
What You’ll Do
- Work to ensure that scholars enjoy a classroom culture characterized by high expectations and high support.
- Create an inclusive classroom and school community by engaging in training, reflection, and dialogue around issues of race, identity, diversity, equity, and inclusion for our staff and scholars.
- Prepare to assist with pre-planned curricular materials to either individual scholars or small groups of scholars both independently and in a co-teaching setting using best practices and informed by scholar data.
- Translate teacher lessons for scholars from English to Spanish
- Reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by lead classroom teachers.
- Maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues through frequent communication and updates.
- Perform clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by lead classroom teachers.
- When requested, serve as a resource person to the Academic Collaboration Team in Response to Intervention, IEP/504, and/or ELL efforts.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of scholars and smooth transition periods through hallway and lunch duties, as assigned.
- Participate in in-service training programs as approved.
Salary is $35,000-$40,000 and commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, parental leave, a smartphone, and a laptop. Employees also have the choice of enrolling in a pre-tax 403b or post-tax Roth IRA with Democracy Prep.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top