Behavioral Support Specialist
- Baton Rouge, LA
About the Opportunity
The mission of Democracy Prep Public Schools is to educate all scholars to be successful in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. Part of our responsibility in meeting our mission is to ensure that our scholars receive the supports and guidance that they need as they learn the skills to navigate school, in preparation for college and work. Working with the school leader and the scholar support team, the DREAM Coach is responsible for ensuring that scholars who struggle with behavioral expectations have the supports they need to be successful in class, and that data is appropriately tracked and communicated to all stakeholders so that the best decisions can be made.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A professional with a proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers and administrators.
- A youth mentor who strongly believes in consistency with consequences and has the skills to both help scholars navigate a school culture with high standards, and engage scholars in conversations to help them learn from their mistakes.
- A clear communicator who appreciates that how something is said is as important as what is said.
- Someone who regularly seeks out feedback and is able to implement it at a quick pace.
- A detail-oriented planner.
- Someone who can manage their time well, prioritize tasks, and manage up to leaders for support when unsure of how to do the above.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), with prior school-based work experience (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Monitor, manage, and de-escalate scholar behavior in the DREAM Office. Concurrently process send outs via reflection conversations with scholars and update Dean’s List (our scholar behavior tracking system) when needed with the appropriate follow up.
- With the school leader and scholar support team, create, monitor and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
- Collaborate with social workers, teachers, and the Director of Scholar Support when needed to create and/or implement Behavior Intervention Plans, as directed by school leadership.
- Implement consistent school-wide management practices for all scholars and individualized management plans incorporating discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations.
- Assume responsibility for the academic and social progress of all scholars through tutoring, classroom observations, attendance at field trips, and other scholar-facing activities, as may be needed.
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with scholars, families, and colleagues.
- Plan events and programs to facilitate a positive school culture, such as town halls and school-wide incentive plans, and school-wide professional developments around culture, as directed by school leadership.
Salary range is $35,000-$40,000 commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top