21st Century Community Learning Center Youth Leader
Working with the 21st Century Site Coordinator, youth leaders will ensure efficient operations within the after school program. For eleven hours a week, youth leaders will assist with setting up and facilitating various academic enrichment activities with groups of k-8 scholars.
Who You Are
- You are a highly motivated person who is a self-starter and can perform duties with little supervision.
- You bring maturity, humility, and a strong work ethic to your work.
- You have excellent communication (written and oral) and a track record of working collaboratively with others.
- You have the ability to proceed in the absence of clear and immediate answers to problems; flexible enough to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
- You are a dependable and resourceful leader.
- You have a need to help others.
- You are patient with those that require extra attention and support.
- You are detail oriented and are great at multi-tasking.
What You’ll Do
- As assigned by the program site coordinator, assists k-8 scholars, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. reading stories, listening to students reading, spelling practice, facilitating enrichment activities, motor perception programs, colors, number charts, checking homework, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts and reaching their academic goals and potential.
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, library, etc.) for the purpose of enforcing school rules and procedures regarding student behavior and participation and/or providing a safe, respectful and positive multicultural learning environment.
- Maintains functionality and accurate inventory of program equipment, work area, and students’ files/records (e.g. cleaning work area, taking attendance, checking homework, ensuring audio visual equipment is functioning, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and/or providing reliable information.
- Assist site coordinator with program logistics such as signing scholars in and out of program, passing out snacks, and transitioning scholar participants between activities.
- Identify scholar academic and behavioral support needs and communicate to site coordinator for problem-solving and supporting all scholars in the program.
- Demonstrate reliability and punctuality by arriving on-time for scheduled shift.
- Provide support as needed to the 21st Century Site Coordinator and club advisors
- Participate in training that will assist you in facilitating daily operations
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
- Ideally have monitored or worked with smaller children (e.g. babysitting, volunteer work, etc.)
- Ideally have worked in after school or summer programming
- Will train on the job
This is a part-time role at eleven hours a week that will start in November 2019 and end in May 2020. Pay is $8.50 an hour.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top