- Austin, TX
Dematic is an intralogistics innovator that designs, builds and supports intelligent, automated solutions for manufacturing, warehouse and distribution environments for customers that are powering the future of commerce. With engineering centers, manufacturing facilities and service centers located in more than 25 countries, the Dematic global network of 10,000 employees has helped achieve more than 6,000 worldwide customer installations for some of the world's leading brands. Headquartered in Atlanta, Dematic is a member of KION Group, one of the global leaders in industrial trucks and supply chain solutions, and a leading provider of warehouse automation.
The Robotic Engineer develops the design of very complex systems that integrate hardware and software; develops material specification, schematic preparation and appropriate follow-up; creates recommendations for ideas related to productivity improvement, cost reduction and improvement in customer satisfaction. Guides very complex technical interchange and knowledge transfer for both processes and application of products to system design. Performs advanced areas of work for the professional field. Displays a high level of critical thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-functional problems.
- Primary equipment focus will be to help manage and coordinate the design of robotic & vision work cells incorporating various types of material handling systems.
- Provide detailed new equipment and acceptance testing specifications when required to support the procurement of new tools or improvement of existing tools.
- Drive all activities related to ensuring new equipment is built to specification.
- Thoroughly characterize and document the base line performance and capability of each system and drive actions to maintain system performance to the documented base line.
- Provide technical support for electrical controls, robot programming, vision inspection and automation. Assist in writing and maintaining effective maintenance specifications.
- Create training materials as well as conduct training of support personnel as required.
What We Are Looking For
Knowledge and Experience:
- A thorough understanding of the principles of automated handling tools, electronics, equipment function, operation, maintenance and repair.
- Solid understanding of the principles used in electro-pneumatic systems, multi-axis robotic systems, 2D and 3D vision systems, conveyor transport systems, and data collection systems.
- Strong "hands-on" capability in the installation and commissioning of robotic / vision based systems in a production environment.
- A strong functional knowledge in PLC based process control systems used in distributed network configurations.
- 3 to 5 years experience with Robotic vision installation and programming (Fanuc and Cognex a plus).
- Identify necessary tasks, identify possible hazards, determine risk reduction requirements, reason possible solutions to reduce risk, validate proposed solutions and document the risk assessment per ANSI/RIA R15.06:2012 Robot Safety Standard, ISO 10218-1:2011, and ISO 10218-2:2011
- Experienced in tuning, calibrating, and repairing electro-mechanical transport systems (i.e. - conveyor type drives).
- Experienced in setting up and maintaining robotic handling/transfer systems.
- Able to create schematics and troubleshoot to component level.
- Working knowledge of test equipment and calibration standards.
- Design, develop, commission and troubleshoot all electrical and software aspects of Industrial Robotics Applications.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing, installation, support, documentation, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Perform and supervise installation and commissioning including oversight of contractors and partners.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
- Develop and maintain good customer relations and provide technical support.
- Cooperation with other departments as well as other divisions.
- Proficient in using CAD software AutoCAD (EPlan a plus).
- Design experience and knowledge of Fanuc, ABB and/or Motoman controllers.
- Knowledge of 3D robotics simulation software suites such as Roboguide (Delmia, RobCad, and Visual Components a plus)
- Design of electrical and communications robotic interfaces in the context of a robotic work cell.
- Experience and working knowledge of Fanuc, ABB or Motoman robotic controllers, including programming and teaching.
- Experience integrating system components and equipment in context of a robotic work cell.
- Networking design and commissioning experience with Ethernet (including EthernetIP), DeviceNet, ProfiNet and Profibus.
- Must be familiar with EOAT design, programming and operation. Capable of assisting in the design of new EOAT.
Education and Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science.
- At least 5 years design experience in an industrial / manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of engineering and mathematical analysis are essential.
- Experience with Industrial Fanuc Robots, ABB, Adept or Motoman.
- Experience with both 2D and 3D vision systems.
- Must have the ability to solve complex design and software problems and implement effective and cost-efficient solutions.
- Good communications skills, flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team of solution-oriented professionals.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills; ability to maintain accurate and detailed records; ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet inflexible deadlines, and deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
- Must be able to manage personal schedule to accommodate work demands.
- Must be willing to follow organizational software standards.
- Ability to travel globally 25%.
Back to top