Tax Senior (National Federal Tax Services - Partnership Solutions Group)
Deloitte Tax LLP seeks a Tax Senior (National Federal Tax Services - Partnership Solutions Group) in New York, NY.
Work You'll Do
As Tax Senior in the Partnership Solutions - Tax Analysis and Information Reporting for Debt (TARDI) group, will be responsible for supporting holders of debt investments including financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity firms, insurance companies, and real estate investment trusts manage all aspects of tax information reporting, tax compliance, and tax planning for their debt portfolios. Responsibilities include: working with client personnel to develop processes to gather, verify, transmit, and store debt portfolio data; utilizing software tools to confirm and verify client provided bond and trading data for accuracy and completeness; calculating tax amounts of original issue discount (OID), market discount, premium, taxable gain, basis, and other items; utilizing tax research tools including Lexis/Nexus, Thompson Reuters, Tax Notes, BNA, and CCH to develop and confirm positions on areas including interest nonaccrual, cost recovery, and bad debts; developing tax project and data management tools using VBA, C++, Access, and SQL; coordinating teams organized to provide our clients with workable solutions to their tax accounting and information reporting needs; contributing to practice optimization, eminence, and people development; and supporting pursuit of new client opportunities among holders of loan, bond, MBS, and ABS securities.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Information Systems, or related field (willing to accept foreign education equivalent).
- Eighteen months of experience supporting holders of debt investments and all aspects of tax information reporting, tax compliance, and tax planning for their portfolios.
- Experience must include eighteen months of:
- Participating in discussions with client professionals and outside service providers to develop processes to gather, verify, transmit, and store: issue information, security master data, holdings reports, realized gain schedules, and trade data related to client debt portfolios;
- Utilizing research tools including Intex, S&P Capital IQ, Bloomberg, SNL Knowledge Center, FINRA, and Moody's to confirm and verify debt issue information including issue price, adjusted issue price, issue date, coupon rate maturity date, prepayment speed, call/put schedules, and payment-in-kind features;
- Applying debt calculation tools including MS Excel to compute original issue discount (OID), acquisition premium, market discount, bond premium, and taxable gain and loss from debt dispositions including maturity, sale, corporation actions, and payoff;
- Analyzing significant debt modifications including changes in yield, principal forgiveness, deferral of payments, changes from recourse to nonrecourse, and substitution of collateral or borrowers;
- Utilizing tax research tools including Lexis/Nexus, Thompson Reuters, Tax Notes, BNA, and CCH to develop and confirm debt tax positions on areas including interest nonaccrual, cost recovery, and bad debts;
- Developing tax project and data management tools using VBA, C++, Access, and SQL;
- Mentoring and coaching client-service staff members to generate deliverables including taxable income and tax basis reports, including internal staff hours for professionals working locally and remotely;
- Coordinating review notes from internal managers and client, and applying changes to deliverables and processes as necessary;
- Assisting engagement managers to answer client questions, set deliverable timelines, and review overall engagement economics; and
- Supporting marketing efforts for debt tax calculation services among holders of corporate bonds, whole mortgage loans, credit cards, mortgage-backed security (MBS), asset-backed security (ABS), and collateralized debt obligation (CDO) including financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity firms, insurance companies, and real estate investment trusts (REIT).
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. We also suggest that you brush up on your behavioral and case interviewing skills and practice discussing your experience and job history with a family member, friend, or mentor. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: XSFH18FT0917NYC1
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top