Senior Federal Proposal Manager
Are you up to the challenge of being a trusted business advisor with an opportunity to influence business strategy at one the world's leading professional services firms? If you have experience with the complete federal and acquisition proposal lifecycle and an interest in leading "must-win" proposal opportunities, Deloitte's Federal Market Development team is the place for you! Join our team of professionals in delivering strategic and tactical guidance to senior leadership in support of federal proposal development efforts.
Work you'll do
The Proposal Manager has direct accountability for three aspects of the proposal management group operations: (1) leading "must-win" proposal opportunities, providing tactical and strategic guidance and advice, working closely with senior leadership and client service teams in developing persuasive proposals and oral presentations that differentiate Deloitte in the marketplace; (2) performance management of immediate team members, and (3) significant contribution to the development and continuous improvement of proposal management processes, tools, and templates. The Proposal Manager provides the leadership, methodologies, procedures, tools, and templates to support Federal proposal development efforts. With responsibility across multiple, concurrent projects, this position is characterized by shifting priorities, stringent deadlines, last minute requirements, and frequent evening/weekend hours to accomplish tasks within non-negotiable client deadlines. The objective of this position is to provide leadership to a diversity of matrixed proposal teams and directly affect the outcomes of assigned proposals, thereby positively affecting win rates.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Act as the central point for the proposal development process – This includes evaluating the solicitation requirements, managing a timely process, working with the technical teams to develop content that is clear, effective and consistent.
- Guide proposal teams in developing a strategic approach – This includes acting in a strategic role, from pre-RFP to oral presentation stages, to brainstorm solutions providing advice and guidance with the ability to drive strategy and solutions that result in winning submissions.
- Lead and collaborate with the proposal development team – This includes managing team members (of various specialties and at various levels of seniority) to develop responses that meet the needs of potential clients. Demonstrate the ability to bring creativity and original thinking to the framing and structuring of proposal.
- Debrief teams after proposal submittal – This includes interviewing team members on successful or unsuccessful strategies and tactics, sharing results and appropriate, and refining future proposal strategies and training.
- Contribute to the development of Deloitte's proposal team – This includes collaborating with other proposal team members, positive teambuilding, taking and conducting training as appropriate, and continuously refining and improving proposal strategies.
- Minimum of five (5) years in Federal Government proposal management, proposal development, and the direct management of proposal operational organizations
- Experience in leading large complex proposals with values in excess of $100m
- Have approximately 7-10 years of work experience
- Diversity of experience in large corporate organizations and small business concerns
- Bachelor's degree (Masters desirable) with preferred concentration in Business, English, Journalism, Marketing or Communications, or comparable work experience
- Excellent communicator – both written and oral
- Experience leading teams in strategic and tactical discussions
- Experience in public speaking and presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Training in formal capture/proposal methodologies
- Industry-wide best practices in proposal management
- Knowledge and understanding of Federal procurement regulations and practices (including FAR and DFAR)
- Personnel/performance management, including areas such as EEO and employment law
- Project management and Capture management
- Editorial practice and standards
- This individual is typically responsible for:
- Performance management of three to five individual positions
- Management of proposal teams, both Deloitte and subcontractor
People and Project Management:
- A team player with an outstanding ability to work with people at all levels, including senior executives
- Demonstrated ability to influence others, from staff to senior leaders through a strong presence, thoughtful challenges, and use of sound judgment
- Strong interpersonal and political skills, including aptitude for building relationships, understanding team dynamics, taking initiative, and solving problems
- Keen listener, with the ability to quickly grasp ideas to be reflected in written documents and presentations
- Ability to read situations and adapt leadership style to achieve results
- Ability to work with grace and efficiency in a demanding, deadline-driven environment
- Team-oriented with a proven ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Demonstrated initiative and problem solving ability
- Attention to detail and exceptional follow-up skills
- Ability to analyze information and make sound observations and recommendations quickly
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
Transparency, innovation, collaboration, sustainability: these are the hallmark issues shaping Federal government initiatives today. Deloitte's Federal practice is passionate about making an impact with lasting change. Carrying out missions in the Federal practice requires fresh thinking and a creative approach. We collaborate with teams from across our organization in order to bring the full breadth of Deloitte, its commercial and public sector expertise, to best support our clients. Our aspiration is to be the premier integrated solutions provider in helping to transform the Federal marketplace.
The Federal Enabling Areas team provides top notch support to Deloitte's internal business units by developing new products and services to sustain competitive advantage, while consistently improving our existing collection of systems, processes, and functions.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: E18ROSSMGRJB012-EAL5
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top