Project Controller Manager – Tax Function Focused - San Francisco
Project Controller Practice:
Deloitte Consulting's Project Controller Practice is comprised of client service professionals specializing in project and account operations serving as a focal point for aspects of engagement, program, and account management control. Project controllers provide engagement management knowledge for the entire project management team(s) by assisting with initiating and controlling organization and logistical aspects of projects. Their greatest value, however, is in the understanding and application of engagement business and financial processes both to individual projects and to client accounts.
As part of the Project Controller AERS program, the Project Controller Manager - (Tax Function Focused) will be responsible for the engagement economics management of one or more Audit engagement teams through successful management of the financial analysis and the implementation of project management controls. Managers oversee the activities of the project controller staff, including supervision, task management and deliverable quality reviews. On any given assignment, the Manager may be responsible for preparing and leading the following activities:
- Supervise and prepare engagement and/or client financial management reporting (pricing analysis, budget preparation, time and expense tracking, budget reconciliation and variance analysis, client billing and receivable collection, financial performance forecasting);
- Establish controls and ensure the quality and integrity of engagement and/or client financial records and reporting;
- Conduct quality reviews of and provide feedback on the technical work products of junior resources;
- Identify, address, and resolve engagement, contract management and compliance issues;
- Facilitate communication between engagement leadership and firm financial organization;
- Interact frequently with senior level internal and external clients and firm leadership to present various analyses, discuss recommendations and provide project financial advice;
- Perform and manage project management office (PMO) functional tasks and perform day-to-day contract management activities;
- Support the growth and career development of junior resources by serving as an informal mentor and, as assigned, a formal Counselor to junior staff, providing them with regular career and professional development guidance;
- Contribute to the growth and development of the overall Project Controller Practice through active involvement in various practice initiatives;
- Prepare and facilitate firm training sessions on a variety of topics and methodologies;
- Participate in formal mid-year and year end performance assessment activities for assigned counselees;
- Work with practice leadership to resolve practitioner performance issues;
- Provide guidance, direction, and leadership to proposal efforts from the project management/control perspective.
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in financial analysis, budgeting, or project accounting;
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in management and supervision (responsibility for defining work activities, assigning work responsibilities of others, setting and achieving work objectives);
- Minimum of 4 years' experience with the entire Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced level PowerPoint and advanced to expert Excel skills
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed (frequency is dependent on the office location and project assignments);
- Experience summarizing results and producing management reports;
- Experience supporting staff career development through participation in formal and informal employee performance review process;
- Experience producing and delivering appropriate communications to the Executive Level;
- Previous experience in conducting interviews and making hiring decisions/recommendations;
- Ability to identify and resolve issues independently and to escalate when appropriate;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as a member of a team;
- Outstanding attention to detail and adherence to project deadlines;
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills with ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Major in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or Business Management;
- Master's Degree; CPA with Public Accounting auditing experience
- Experience working with a variety of contracting types (e.g., time and materials, fixed price) and billing scenarios;
- Experience developing project pricing models and performing scenario analysis;
- Experience in a client-service environment; consulting experience is a plus.
Our project controller practice helps clients define what they need and how it can be delivered. We work with clients to define their projects' scope in as much detail as possible using advanced financial, budgeting, and forecasting techniques. We provide realistic cost estimates that account for projects' phases and activities, people, materials, hardware, and software and produce the best- and worst-case estimates using leading-edge project and client management software to keep clients' projects on track and on cost
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: E18SFOCMGRLV020-PC
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top