PMO Senior Manager
PMO SENIOR MANAGER
Information Technology Services – Program Management Office (ITS PMO)
Responsible for leading and overseeing the effective application of Project Management Office (PMO) processes in the execution and delivery of projects and programs within specific portfolios. Works with varying levels of leadership across Information Technology Services (ITS) and the firm from staff through Partner, Principal, and Director Level to provide direct insight, governance and proactive recommendations to ensure delivery is aligned with business goals. Oversees project portfolios ranging from $5M - $20M. Owns the implementation and improvement of all applicable PMO and related ITS processes, methodologies, and Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Takes full accountability for the proper and consistent execution of all projects. Serves in an advisory and consultative role to teams and stakeholders on all project-related activities. Directs, manages, develops, coaches, counsels and mentors project analyst, project manager, senior project manager, and program manager personnel in the PMO organization.
Work you'll do
ITS PMO senior managers work together with teams and stakeholders at all levels to provide and ensure consistent, high quality project, program and portfolio management services. This role will lead/oversee the effective application of PMO processes, as well as ensuring excellence in execution/delivery of projects and programs on an ongoing, strategic and operational basis, working with varying levels of leadership across ITS and our business customers. Our senior managers provide passionate, innovative, results-oriented leadership with an unwavering commitment to success; inspiring/modeling a 'getting-things-done-right' spirit through the entire organization, while driving cross-team integration and a unified approach to successful delivery and achieving business value.
Other duties include:
Management and Organizational Leadership
- Lead cross-functional teams in the delivery of high-risk, complex projects, directly affecting the Deloitte US Firm's strategy to meet technology and business requirements on-time and within budget.
- Build and maintain relationships with partner/principal/director level through staff level, including CIO/ITS and customer leaders, channel leads, product owners, shared resource leaders, technical team leads, technical and non-technical teams. Meet regularly with these individuals to obtain feedback, provide recommendations/direction, seek consensus/input, communicate adjustments/changes and ensure continued alignment with business and organizational needs.
- Own the implementation and improvement of all applicable PMO and related ITS processes, methodologies, and Service Level Agreements and take full accountability for their proper and consistent execution on all projects
- Seek and capitalize on opportunities to improve productivity, improving time-to-market, improving solutions quality, and improving cost effectiveness including those within the ITS Project Delivery Process and SDLC, PMI PMBOK, and ITS PMO procedures.
- Oversee the activities of project/program personnel and teams within assigned focus areas to ensure delivery of timely solutions that are aligned with the organization's strategy.
- Conduct ongoing examination of projects for compliance with established processes, project plans/schedules and budgets, influencing decisions on resource utilization and allocation at key project lifecycle decision points.
- Maintain oversight and accountability for portfolio/channel/focus area performance including creation/review of key project delivery metrics for assigned areas.
- Manage portfolio/channel/focus area attrition.
- Oversee issue/risk management, remediation plans, and escalations across Channels, service areas, COEs and CIO Leaders for projects within assigned portfolios/channels/focus areas - responsible for providing management direction in these areas and ensuring clear communication, consideration of all factors, generation of solution alternatives, and defined actionable plans that are implemented.
- Develop/maintain a network of relationships with in IT and the customer/business units on both strategic and operational levels that can be called upon for information or assistance needed to efficiently complete all projects.
- Prepare and deliver regular, effective communications to ensure that project sponsors, CIO advisors and leadership are adequately apprised of project statuses, successes, risks and issues.
- Execute ongoing management of project manager resourcing within assigned portfolios/channels, including forecasting within EPM site, updating the Resource Management Tool weekly, and conducting annual fiscal year planning.
- Partner in regular joint forward planning with Technology Directors, Senior Technology Leaders and Channel Leads at 3-, 6- and 12-Month Levels and Channel roadmaps.
- Builds/maintains PMO roadmaps for future resourcing and channel alignment.
- Manages issues and changes to business plans and PM resource allocations.
- Influences direction of ITS and ITS organizations and the Deloitte US Firm from a leadership position
- Demonstrates leadership traits by instilling the culture of execution, operational excellence, and accountability
- Maintains organizational credibility with respect to all PMO deliverables and process efficiencies
- Establishes collaborative working relationships with all ITS, customer, 3rd party groups, and contractors
- Breaks down organizational barriers and encourages sharing of ideas across the entire organization
- Creates an environment in which people take responsibility for achieving results
- Anticipates barriers to change and creates opportunities to remove them
- Creates a culture which is based on knowledge sharing and learning from best practices
- Governs PMO reports, internal/external training, communications, knowledge repository, and publications.
- Forecasts PMO team budgets.
- Sets challenging goals for the team and clearly communicates them.
- Direct, manage, develop, coach, counsel and mentor personnel in the PMO organization.
- Responsible for managing staff development / training plans.
- Responsible for maintaining retention / morale / attitude and growing our next generation of leaders.
- Performs required HR/Talent-related functions for PMO staff, such as mid-year and year end performance reviews, counseling documentation prepares and monitors training and/or performance plans in accordance with policy.
- Provides leadership direction to PMs throughout project lifecycle.
- Contributes and evaluates latest PM industry innovations and best practices to drive continuous improvement.
- Manages projects within ITS, and in that role executes according to project management methodologies and standards.
At Deloitte, the ITS PMO provides a full-range of services focused on Information Technology Services portfolio, program, and project management needs within the Deloitte US Firm. We partner across teams and stakeholders to help deliver enterprise IT projects and programs of critical importance that directly impact revenue and continued viability. We strive to deliver business value for our clients through distinctive program and project management services that enable consistent, on time, on budget, high quality results. Our team members work collaboratively and apply their specialized knowledge and experience to help ITS and Deloitte professionals plan, execute and deliver projects and programs that innovate toward a technology-driven future, within an optimized technology portfolio aligned with business needs.
- 10+ years' experience managing large cross functional IT projects as a Project Manager
- 7+ years' experience leading all phases of a business solution delivery life cycle: planning, analysis, design, build, test, and deployment
- 7+ years' experience in the administration/quality management of IT projects and service delivery for one or more of the following areas: software development including use of Agile or similar methodologies, Client Server, Networking, LAN/WAN infrastructure or Web technologies and architecture
- Experience managing medium-to-large projects and programs (with $500k- $1M dollar budgets) in a management capacity
- Ability to travel as required (may be 30-60% at times)
- Demonstrated experience in working with diverse business groups and IT Leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management principles as they relate to project management and delivery of a business case (budget vs. earned progress, capital vs. expense, etc.)
- Proven ability to work within a team environment, manage multiple projects, and adapt to frequent change
- Proven ability to influence and lead cross-functional teams in an environment of competing interests and limited resources
- Expert problem solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments to resolve complex issues with innovative solutions
- Proficient in MS Project and MS Project Server (or similar applications)
- Strong background in project method best practices
- Expert-level interpersonal, relationship building and customer service orientation
- Expert-level ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) at all of the organization, including C-Level executives
- Significant experience in working with onshore/offshore teams
- Demonstrated ability in developing direct reports, including mentoring, evaluation, handling HR/Talent issues, training requirements and career/performance counseling required.
- Abstract thinking abilities, balanced between academic and pragmatic approaches
- Capable of building sustainable relationships with colleagues, business partners, and vendors
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Business Administration, or relevant educational or professional experience; Master's degree a plus
- 3+ years' experience managing within ITIL, Six Sigma and/or COBIT frameworks
- PMP certification
- Agile project experience
- Knowledge of business processes and associated IT applications and systems in the Professional Services industry is highly desirable
- Experience in business process management best practices is highly desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge of structured analysis and design concepts
Requisition code: E18NATSSRMGO004-ITL6
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top