Open Systems – Systems Engineer
Title: Open Systems - Systems Engineer
Hiring Location: Hermitage/Nashville, TN.
Department: Infrastructure & Platforms
Responsible for all aspects of Server Infrastructure and Hosting Applications running on UNIX AIX and Linux including: System Engineering solutions, Systems administration, consultive collaborations with Applications development teams, ongoing maintenance, upgrades, Business Continuity (BCP), Data and File System protections and recovery, problem-solving, systems configuration, and implementation efforts for large and / or complex projects. An emphasis on operational excellence, continuous improvement of systems, related processes, and procedures.
Participates in on-call support rotation for hardware infrastructure, O/S, Hosting of Applications, Data Backup and recovery, and other systems infrastructure that require 24 X 7 X 365. Weekend or off hours work expected.
Plans, documents procedures, and coordinate activities with local and remote team members, and customers including team members and customers in India.
Flexibility to work in a dynamic fast paced environment with rapid technology changes and complex customer demands. Willingness to get involved with other technologies that interface with UNIX such as but not limited to LAMP Stack, TSM,Samba, LDAP, SAS, GPFS, Oracle, SAP, NAS, SAN, Storage, Tape Virtual Libraries, SFTP.
- Demonstrates an understanding of complex problem solving techniques dealing with Open System environments Operating Systems UNIX AIX and Linux systems, support Complex Server hardware infrastructure environments, Database and File System protections and Business Continuity.
- Ability to formulate and recommend technical direction and technical solutions for Open Systems engineering related to activities for: Projects in collaboration with Application Development Hosting teams, and other Information Technology Projects within the IT organizations.
- Ability to develop standards, processes, and procedures.
- Demonstrates an understanding of performance tuning and optimization including the identification of performance related issues.
- Demonstrates a working understanding of quality assurance and/or software development processes and methodologies, with the ability to share that knowledge with peers, and project team members.
- Ability to effectively communicate written and verbal to all levels within the organizations as well as communicate directly with customers on new projects and issues with production systems.
- Must have experience with Systems Administration in a LINUX and/or AIX environment. Strong understanding of any of the following preferred: PowerVM, HMC, Shell Scripting, IBM Power Hardware and HANA.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of TSM or similar technologies for backup and recovery.
- Working knowledge of supporting and installation of Linux on blade servers and VMWARE ESX 5.5+ environments is preferred.
- Experience supporting infrastructure Hosting Applications and Databases.
- This resource will be called on to act as a representative of the Open Systems team on particular projects, providing coordination, and point of contact services to the project team.
- Demonstrates a working ability to provide accurate project estimates and timelines.
- Demonstrates a strong ability to deliver on project commitments.
- Demonstrates an ability to manage multiple project deliverables on multiple projects effectively.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate as the primary resource on a project, through planning, resource allocation, conflict resolution, project negotiation, and reporting. This individual should be able to manage the application through its entire lifecycle.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with peers on project assignments.
- Demonstrates a working ability to foster a cooperative environment with the entire project team. This resource is viewed as a "team player", who understands the culture and how to be effective in it.
- Due to the scope of the responsibilities, at least 3-5 years of relevant business and working experience (administration of UNIX AIX and Linux), server infrastructure support, is required to ensure tasks are completed without supervision.
- Strong experience in a Microsoft centric environment is preferred to ensure a strong foundation in application support and troubleshooting.
- Ability to work and communicate well with others. Ability to work in a team environment. Good customer service skills. Good analytical and troubleshooting skills. Good organizational and planning skills. Strong time management skills. Ability to work autonomously in day-to-day management of various open systems.
Requisition code: E18NATSASCSH089-ITL4
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top