Health Actuary Senior Consultant
Health Actuary Consulting Sr. Consultant
Deloitte Consulting's Human Capital practice is a leading global advisor and implementation partner working with companies, governments, and organizations around the world. Our goal is to improve our clients' organizational results and impact by focusing on challenges at the intersection of business and people.
Work you'll do
As a Deloitte Consulting Health Actuary Senior Consultant in the Insurance practice of Deloitte's Human Capital group, you will assist Deloitte Managers, Senior Managers and Partners in providing strategic and technical consulting services to health plans, providers, Federal and State governments, PBMs, etc.
At Deloitte, you can be a part of the transformation of the health care sector. Deloitte's health actuaries are participating in the development of evidence based medicine, and the transition of payments from paying for what is done to paying for the value provided. Deloitte health actuaries are involved in designing new programs that are smarter about how public funds are spent. These types of problems require actuaries who are not only technically strong, but also can be innovative, capable of addressing ill defined, complex problems and have a business orientation.
Other responsibilities include:
- Individual medical and small group health care reform modeling for health plans
- Assist clients and teams to define underwriting policies and perform risk score analysis to reduce selection
- Price alternative plan designs and define product strategy
- Track lapse and retention rates; define strategies to influence based on data
- Prepare and review reserves in support of Deloitte audits of health care liabilities
- Align provider contracting strategy with rating trends
- Model and calculate ROI for medical management and other health plan initiatives
- Prepare and present client presentations and reports
- Conduct other health actuarial consulting activities, as required
A part of Deloitte Consulting LLP, our Human Capital professionals work closely with clients around the world to develop effective and efficient people-centered solutions. Our team helps clients define their talent strategy and align it with their executive business vision using innovative strategic frameworks that enhance HR service delivery models, set the stage for continuously improving operational excellence, and reimagines the HR brand. Learn more about our Human Capital practice.
Our Human Capital professionals who specialize in Actuarial services apply advanced quantitative analysis to a wide range of business challenges. We use leading-edge statistical methods to quantify risk of Health, Life, P&C, and Retirement plans for clients. Learn more about our Actuarial, Rewards & Analytics practice.
- Bachelor's degree
- 4+ years of health actuary experience
- Successfully passed 4 actuarial exams
- Willingness to travel at least 50%
- 4+ years of consulting and/or health plan/insurance company experience
- Experience leading small to medium sized teams
- ASA with progression to FSA, FSA, or career ASA designation
- Experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Product design and/or product strategy
- Reimbursement models - including value based care/ACO modeling
- Risk adjustment mechanisms
- Familiarity with group insurance products including disability, long term care, etc.
- Merger and Acquisition experience
- Health care reform with working knowledge of the individual medical and small group markets and/or state Medicaid programs
- Experience with Medicare products, including Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement products for various enrollee types
- Medicaid managed care rate setting and other provider reimbursement streams (i.e., DSH, UPL, etc.)
- Medicaid waivers (i.e., 1115, 1915 b/c)
- Strong client presence with project management, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Ability to succeed in team-based or independent environments
- Well-organized with the ability to handle several projects/clients simultaneously
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to program using SQL
- Proficiency with MS Office products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Dedicated work ethic with a commitment to client service excellence
- Ability to travel up to 80% for periods of time
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can helpthem to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
As used in this posting, "Deloitte" means Deloitte Consulting LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
Requisition code: E18NATCSRCJL507-HC
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top