Deloitte Consulting, Senior Consultant, Banking Operations, Strategy & Operations, London
The Banking and Insurance Operations practice at Deloitte covers all areas of Banking, Insurance and Asset Management. This ranges from retail, commercial, private and transaction banking across channel, middle or back office operations to all aspects of general insurance and life and pensions, from sales and marketing to core underwriting, and all facets of fund management and planning. These areas are complemented by our range of specialisms, including Robotics, Digital, Structural Reform and Payments. Our aim is to strengthen our position as the market leading Operational consultancy in FSI, helping and working with our clients to address their most complex challenges.
The impact of increased regulation, and the focus on customer experience and digital banking alongside the more traditional objectives of efficiency, automation and complex transformation, has forced large scale change to the industry's operating models and service definitions. Banking and Insurance Operations, with its deep industry expertise, carries out target operating model definition and implementation, M&A integration, cost reduction, risk & regulatory driven change programmes and supports core technology transformation. Despite being a high performing team there is also a strong focus on agile working with a widespread commitment to open communication, agile working arrangements, trust and respect.
Benefiting from early client exposure and working with and learning from some of the top practitioners in our field, you will develop quickly, add real value and build credibility in the industry from an early stage thus increasing your own marketability.
The Senior Consultant role will include the following activities:
- Working as part of a team of industry specialists providing consulting services across major banking clients, so you will quickly build upon your existing industry knowledge to become an expert in your field
- Primarily focusing on the delivery of client work that will successfully fulfil and exceed client expectations and deliver engagement and programme objectives
- Owning clear deliverables and leading small work streams and starting to develop strong long-term client relationships with the aim to be recognised as a trusted business advisor in the retail banking sector
- Actively participating in and contributing to the development of the Banking & Insurance Operations practice team
- Assignments will be focused across the full spectrum of the Retail Banking industry and will include:
- Banking Efficiency and Automation, including Robotic Process Automation
- Complex Banking Transformation
- Structural Reform and Regulation
- Front-to-Back Digital Banking
Senior Consultants will have responsibility for:
- Working within or managing small projects or programme work streams
- Understanding and anticipating client requirements and developing client relationships
- Conducting client interviews and leading the facilitation of workshops for key stakeholders
- Gathering and analysing information, performing the identification of issues, creating and testing hypotheses and developing and communicating recommendations
- Developing work plans for engagements and producing exceptional deliverables for clients
- Actively monitoring key risks and managing issues
- Contributing to the development and growth of the Banking & Insurance practice
- Participating fully and actively contributing to the Banking & Insurance team
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Delivery experience in one of the above Assignment areas within consulting firm at a retail/commercial/ wealth bank. Internal consulting experience at a major retail bank is also acceptable
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the UK banking industry and market, including macro trends (regulatory, economic, and business factors) and disruptive technologies (Robotics, Big Data and Digital) are driving change and impacting business models of key institutions
- Experience of delivering small projects or leading workstreams on transformations in target operating model design/implementation, process re-engineering or cost reduction
- Excellent project and programme management disciplines including production of detailed project plans, key quality programme deliverables and working and delivering to strict time constraints
- Excellent ability in Microsoft Office, particularly in PowerPoint and Excel
- Exceptional communication and people skills, able to liaise with stakeholders and team members
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on diverse teams with a diverse range of people
- Demonstrable potential to manage functional teams
- An understanding of risk, how to mitigate risk and protect the firm's reputation
- Enthusiasm and passion for the delivery of market leading solutions that make a difference
- An understanding of the diverse requirements of clients and the need to work on projects in differing geographies and time zones
Additional desirable experience includes:
- Knowledge of methodologies including Lean, Six Sigma, BPR techniques and implementation methodologies
We are Consulting
Three core competency areas make up our Consulting service line:
- Strategy & Operations
- Human Capital
We exist to solve complex problems
Our consultants are renowned for their straightforward approach to solving some of the world's largest and most complex business challenges. With a team of over 3,000, each of us is energised by the challenge a seemingly inscrutable problem presents. Our distinctiveness lies in our refusal to accept a problem at face value - we draw on the depth of our shared insight to ask the right questions, and it's these questions that uncover answers - answers with impact.
We are committed to collaboration
Our role is to unlock potential for growth and innovation. We believe this requires real collaboration – with our own networks and with our clients. It's why we commit to truly getting under the skin of our client's needs, developing a full appreciation for their environment, goals and ambitions. We're also unafraid to challenge. In so doing, we build long-term and trusted affinities.
We create long-term, sustainable impact
We often work hand-in-hand with our clients to help find the right solution and to help apply that solution. Our aim is to leave behind ambassadors who are equipped to continue the transformation we began. For us, it's about embedding sustainable change, allowing the impact of our insight to be felt for a long time to come.
We offer a number of different career pathways
We offer three different career pathways at Deloitte, meaning that there are three different routes by which people can progress in Consulting. We provide variety regarding the career options available to you, assisting you to take career steps that fit your skills, talents and aspirations, and providing an environment where those choices can be discussed in meaningful and constructive career conversations.
The Consulting Career Paths are:
Consulting pathway – pathway based around developing a broad consulting skillset alongside building expertise in a specific domain
Consulting Solutions pathway – pathway where there is greater focus on building skills and deep expertise in a specific domain. Practitioners have a narrow focus, determined by their SME and type of contribution made
Consulting Services pathway – pathway for people whose career is built around the delivery of managed services to clients (either internal or external)
Deloitte offers integrated services that include Audit and Risk Advisory, Tax, Consulting and Financial Advisory. Our approach combines insight and innovation from multiple disciplines with global business and industry expertise to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
We deliver outstanding impact on the reputation and success of our clients, in the UK and globally. In pursuing this we contribute to a sustainable and prosperous society, and are firm believers in the positive impact business can and should have on the world it operates within.
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service through our expertise and professionalism.
We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture. We are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support agile working arrangements. We recognise that our people are juggling demanding careers with commitments and interests outside of work.
Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways.
We are proud to have received a special award for Best Innovation for our WorkAgility Time Out programme in the 2015 Top Employers for Working Families awards.
Requisition code: 127634
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top