Deloitte, Consulting, Bid Advisor, Belfast
Deloitte LLP is a leading professional services firm employing over 14,000 partners and staff across 23 locations in the UK and generating revenues of over 2.8bn a year. The firm has a large public sector practice with over 100 dedicated partners and senior staff and specialists in central government, health, education, defence, local and regional government and public transport.
With a revenue plan of £200m and 850+ practitioners, Deloitte’s public sector practice is one of the largest and most experienced providers of professional services to public sector clients in the UK. Because of the regulated nature of procurement in the public sector, the firm maintains a specialist team to manage the bids for entry onto framework agreements and other major contracts which serve as the principal routes to market for Deloitte’s services to the public sector. The specialist team, called the “Public Sector Bid Team”, also supports the public sector practice by providing an extensive platform of bid collateral, training, compliance activities, opportunity and bid administration, reporting and training to embed good practice.
The PSBT is responsible for managing bid activity across the public sector practice in all service lines. The team is responsible for maintaining our routes to market, and in gaining entry on to public sector frameworks, which account for approximately 50% of our total industry revenues. The PSBT’s objective is to provide a cost-effective means of winning work in a highly competitive marketplace and to contribute to the management of commercial risk. The team also seeks to improve the win rate on public sector bids and assist the practice in achieving its ambitious growth target by 2020.
A major part of the PSBT’s role is to bid for entry onto Crown Commercial Service (CCS) framework agreements, advising the business on use of the frameworks and encouraging compliance.
The PSBT consists of three areas:
The Frameworks Team provides the capability to bid for major framework agreements and other major routes to market, improve win rate, price bids, manage commercial risk, advise the business on use of frameworks and manages the relationship with Crown Commercial Service (CCS).
The Bid Advisor Team provides bid writing, opportunity portfolio management and bid management services for management consultancy bids.
The Bid Operations Team provides the essential controls and back office services for opportunity and bid administration, compliance and monthly reporting to Government.
The role is full time and based in Belfast. Some travel may be required.
- Bid management of priority opportunities for the firm
- Gather proposal information by identifying sources of information; coordinating submissions and collections; identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals
- Write or co-write compelling content encompassing Deloitte’s unique win themes and differentiators that relate to the client’s needs and objectives
- Maintain quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal knowledge management and support databases
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks
- Participate in and/or drive initiatives aimed at developing or improving support services
- Carry out bid evaluation reviews
- Champion internal bid process and bid qualification
- Support on commercial pricing strategy
- Support for oral presentations
Responsibilities and priorities of the role may change over time according to the workload of the PSBT
- Knowledge and experience of bidding in the public sector or of preparing large, structured bids in the private sector
- Ability to follow bid processes and influence senior stakeholders
- Awareness of the commercial aspects of bidding and how to win
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to evaluate and enhance drafted collateral
- Intermediate Word, PowerPoint, Excel skills
- Basic knowledge of public sector procurement and the process of bidding under the UK Contracts Regulations
- Basic knowledge of the structure and service models of a professional services firm
- Numeracy and basic financial skills
- Ability to work to firm deadlines and to take full responsibility for completion and quality of their own work
- Ability to work in an environment where accuracy and attention to detail is essential at all times
- Strong communication, prioritisation and inter-personal skills
- Commitment and dedication
We are Consulting
Three core competency areas make up our Consulting service line:
- Strategy & Operations
- Human Capital
We exist to solve complex problems
Our consultants are renowned for their straightforward approach to solving some of the world’s largest and most complex business challenges. With a team of over 3,000, each of us is energised by the challenge a seemingly inscrutable problem presents. Our distinctiveness lies in our refusal to accept a problem at face value – we draw on the depth of our shared insight to ask the right questions, and it’s these questions that uncover answers – answers with impact.
We are committed to collaboration
Our role is to unlock potential for growth and innovation. We believe this requires real collaboration – with our own networks and with our clients. It’s why we commit to truly getting under the skin of our client’s needs, developing a full appreciation for their environment, goals and ambitions. We’re also unafraid to challenge. In so doing, we build long-term and trusted affinities.
We create long-term, sustainable impact
We often work hand-in-hand with our clients to help find the right solution and to help apply that solution. Our aim is to leave behind ambassadors who are equipped to continue the transformation we began. For us, it’s about embedding sustainable change, allowing the impact of our insight to be felt for a long time to come.
We offer a number of different career pathways
We offer three different career pathways at Deloitte, meaning that there are three different routes by which people can progress in Consulting. We provide variety regarding the career options available to you, assisting you to take career steps that fit your skills, talents and aspirations, and providing an environment where those choices can be discussed in meaningful and constructive career conversations.
The Consulting Career Paths are:
Consulting pathway – pathway based around developing a broad consulting skillset alongside building expertise in a specific domain
Consulting Solutions pathway – pathway where there is greater focus on building skills and deep expertise in a specific domain. Practitioners have a narrow focus, determined by their SME and type of contribution made
Consulting Services pathway – pathway for people whose career is built around the delivery of managed services to clients (either internal or external)
Deloitte offers integrated services that include Audit and Risk Advisory, Tax, Consulting and Financial Advisory. Our approach combines insight and innovation from multiple disciplines with global business and industry expertise to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
We deliver outstanding impact on the reputation and success of our clients, in the UK and globally. In pursuing this we contribute to a sustainable and prosperous society, and are firm believers in the positive impact business can and should have on the world it operates within.
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service through our expertise and professionalism.
We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture. We are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support agile working arrangements. We recognise that our people are juggling demanding careers with commitments and interests outside of work.
Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways.
We are proud to have received a special award for Best Innovation for our WorkAgility Time Out programme in the 2015 Top Employers for Working Families awards.
Requisition code: 130872
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top