Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer
The Cloud and Infrastructure Engineer will be responsible for providing support for all activities related to cloud and infrastructure on the x86 platform architecture for all types of servers and Operating Systems for Deloitte clients. This individual must understand thoroughly how to leverage cloud and infrastructure technology with hands-on technical experience. This is a client facing role with a major focus on support of Deloitte pursuits and engagements. The role will also help support development of innovative solutions in cloud and infrastructure technologies.
The position will be focused on the following activities:
- Deliver technology advisory and implementation solutions that extract and maximize business value from IT investments for SNET and our clients
- Encompasses architecture, engineering, and provide third level support for operations services for the IT strategy, innovation, operations, and infrastructure required to deliver efficient and effective platforms fundamental to business success
- Research and development on the latest virtualization technology, tools, and capabilities
- Provide deep subject matter expertise in virtual server technology to resolve technical issues, consulting, and hands-on client project support
- Architecture, design, and support of the Deloitte cloud and infrastructure strategy
- Provide engineering support to peer operations and network services groups in delivering IT services to the firm as defined by management
- Research and development for emerging cloud and infrastructure technologies
- Work with application owners/groups to ensure proper architecture and function of Deloitte's server infrastructure
- Work with alliances and vendors to provide emerging platforms
- Identify business and technical requirements for new and existing technologies
- Develop functional designs, prototypes, process designs, testing, training, and definition of support procedures
- Provide technical support for the SNET and our clients
- Assist consulting practice on Pursuits, RFP responses, and solution development and sustainment
- Develop documentation for best practices for server infrastructure, virtualization, and cloud computing
- Review operations and business requirements for projects pertaining to Deloitte's server infrastructure with all project teams, management and client services groups for deployment and ongoing operations support
The architecture team works with alliances and vendors to provide emerging platforms so that our applications teams are able to deliver exceptional value to our clients, and research and development for the practice. The ideal candidate will have extensive server virtualization and cloud experience. This position will require up 60% travel. Partial telecommuting options are provided.
The Solutions Network (SNET) Practice
Deloitte's Solutions Network (SNET) is a global network that connects Deloitte's solution centers, extended delivery centers, clients, and vendor partners. The primary focus of the SNET is to support client development projects, client pursuits, solution development, and practice development. The SNET does this by providing project teams with a hosted infrastructure that includes a large mix of hardware vendors, operating systems, and technical application expertise. The SNET also provides on-site technical architecture and application experts for Deloitte's clients.
The Solution Network consists of experts with knowledge of all major packaged applications and technologies – PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP, JD Edwards, Siebel, middleware, BI/DW, JAVA, .NET, networking, SAN, server virtualization, etc. SNET staff is also exposed to new and emerging technology, and in many cases serve as an R&D function for Deloitte.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in a large, diverse, server environment
- 3+ years of prior government and/or commercial consulting experience
- Intermediate/advanced knowledge of the primary AWS services (EC2, ELB, RDS, Route53, S3, & VPC).
- Experience implementing AWS services in a variety of distributed computing environments
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPN's, DNS, load balancing and firewalling.
- In depth knowledge of VMWare, HP, IBM, Cisco, VCE, Dell Systems and other major vendors of infrastructure technology
- In depth knowledge of public cloud providers like AWS, Azure, Softlayer or other major vendors of public cloud
- Bachelor-level degree in engineering, information technology, data communications, telecommunications, computer science, or equivalent educational or professional experience and/or qualifications
- An advanced degree or training in the area of specialization such as AWS or Azure architect is preferred
- Technical proficiency including systems experience, strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, and issue management in a multi-platform environment
- Strong knowledge of emerging IT technology solutions, industry trends, and progressive operations methodology
- Experience participating in all aspects of large-scale Enterprise Architecture projects including ideation, identification, planning and cost estimation through requirements, design, development, testing, implementation and production
- Experience translating the end state business and technology models into architectural blueprints including recommendation of third party components, definition of required custom components, and determination of the appropriate ones to use
- Experience identifying gaps in existing client skill base and developing documentation to include job descriptions for key architectural positions, skill requirements and required certifications for roles/positions, inventory of required competencies by job description/role, and an inventory of required technical skills by job description/role
- Knowledge of Architecture governance best practices and experience applying them to solve client problems
- Experience defining the specific metrics which communicate the benefits of an architecture program to the business; tracking to what extent those benefits are being delivered on an ongoing basis; and identifying metric stakeholders and owners
- Deployment and operational expertise Windows, Linux, and other Operating Systems.
- Expert knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMWare, OpenStack, or OVM
- Familiarity with public and private cloud computing environments based on VMware , OpenStack, or others
- Knowledge of big data and analytics solutions, and Hadoop environments
- Knowledge of Microsoft IIS, Domains, Active Directory.
- Familiarity with DNS and WINS
- Strong knowledge of SAN technology
- Experienced with networking and network/system security
- Subject matter expert in server hardware and operating systems
- Knowledge of project management methodology
- Ability and discipline to work and succeed in a fast pace and organizationally complex environment, to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology, and to lead and manage small projects
- Demonstrated record in leading and instilling service disciplines and team work
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills (MS Visio, MS PowerPoint)
Competitive candidates for this role will possess the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must
- Creative person with the ability to design innovative approaches to developing solutions
- Goal oriented with high standards for quality and performance
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Prior consulting experience desired
- A minimum of a Bachelor degree is preferred
How you'll grow
At Deloitte Digital, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills, work with industry-leading talent on a daily basis, in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career, while delivering products and services to Fortune 500 clients. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Who says work can't be fun? At Deloitte Digital, the worlds of business, creative, and technology intersect to transform the way we work, play, and communicate. We can't quite put our finger on it, but that combo creates something kind of magical. In studios or on the road, we believe in our people, and we understand that quality of life directly impacts quality of work. We pride ourselves on our flexible work environment and distinctive culture. Learn more about life at Deloitte Digital.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: E17PHICSRCAL007-SNET
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top