Application Modernization – Senior Consultant
Are you a talented, creative software development professional, interested in working in a team atmosphere to help solve our clients' most complex issues? Are you interested in working in one of the hottest areas of the market today, modernizing applications for our clients, all the while working with high caliber team members and continually learning and expanding your skills?
Work you'll do
As a Senior Consultant you will bring considerable technical, functional, and product expertise to deliver application and systems modernization solutions effective to clients. You will work on application modernization projects to help transform application code written in native/legacy languages (e.g., COBOL, Natural, PL/1) into modern languages (e.g., Java, .NET). This process helps our clients solve problems, improve operations, and update their applications more easily, quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively. Beyond that, you will serve on engagement teams as they help our clients modernize prioritized functionality in their systems (e.g., Business Rules Engines, Mobile Applications). You will have responsibility to:
- Work on teams on Application Modernization efforts serving clients, either in the Code Refactoring/Migration stage or in a Modernization effort of systems that have refactored code
- Serve as lead liaison between the clients and our Deloitte teams
- Manage junior resources, upholding quality standards, and following Deloitte methodologies on Application Modernization approach and processes
- Contribute to teams performing analysis of refactored code defects in custom-made refactoring tools; collaborate with a team of engineers and products developers to execute work and solve problems
- Contribute to practical solutions and methodologies to further support the Application Modernization offering
- Contribute to proposal work as we compete for new business
At Deloitte Consulting LLP, our systems integration specialists help clients manage the complexity inherent with technology change, from requirements planning to architecture, testing to deployment, and beyond, helping to link their IT programs to organizational goals. And we offer a complete range of industry-leading services, including systems development, solution and platform integration. Learn more about our Systems Integration practice.
Application Modernization Senior Consultants are required to have:
- 4 years of relevant consulting or industry experience
- At least 2 years of experience leading small teams, either development/technical teams or other teams performing on technology implementations, migrations, or system updates
- A minimum of 2 full system development life cycle implementations
- Demonstrated understanding of tool based modernization, including code analysis, code conversion and automated testing tools
- Demonstrated experience executing the SDLC against large systems implementations
- At least 2 years of experience with solution development and application architecture with JEE(J2EE) or .Net
- At least 2 years of performing conceptual and technical designs, including the use of object-oriented analysis and design techniques
- A willingness to travel 80 - 100% of the time
- A Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in a Computer, Information, or Engineering or equivalent experience
In addition, successful Application Modernization Senior Consultants will have the following preferred background:
- Experience or passion for implementing cloud solutions on Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience of DevOps practices and tools
- Understanding of user experience, user centered design and responsive web design
- Experience with application or core modernization – either through the use of custom-built tools or through MOTS/COTS products
- Experience working with mainframe technologies (COBOL, NATURAL, PL/1, VSAM, JCL, ADABASE), either as a programmer or manager of teams who work with these languages
- Experience working as a programmer in JEE(J2EE) or .NET
- Experience with Testing across all phases: System, Integration, and Performance Testing and experience with requirements traceability
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills (MS Visio, MS PowerPoint)
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- Eagerness to mentor junior staff
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: E18NATCSRCCT202-T
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top