Application Modernization – Consultant
Are you a talented, creative software development professional, interested in working in a team atmosphere to help solve our clients' most complex issues? Are you interested in working in one of the hottest areas of the market today, modernizing applications for our clients, all the while working with high caliber team members and continually learning and expanding your skills?
Work you'll do
As a core team member, you will work within a project team on application modernization projects to help transform application code written in older/legacy languages (e.g., COBOL, Natural, PL/1) into modern languages (e.g., Java, .NET). This process helps our clients solve problems, improve operations, and update their applications more easily, quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively. You will not work alone; rather, you will work alongside smart, dynamic colleagues. You'll engage in:
- Being the integrator between the client and our Deloitte teams
- Contributing to teams who are performing code migration or refactoring or are modernizing applications that have been through the refactoring process
- Working hands-on with code refactoring tools that migrate legacy code into modern coding languages, assisting with compiling output reports, defect reports, and troubleshooting with a team of engineers and products developers to resolve issues
- Assisting with the design, development, and testing of modernizing applications that have been through the code migration/refactoring process
- Assisting with status reporting and contributing to work planning and estimating based on your knowledge of the work assigned to you
- Leveraging Deloitte methodologies and processes to do your job, contributing to high quality work products
At Deloitte Consulting LLP, our systems integration specialists help clients manage the complexity inherent with technology change, from requirements planning to architecture, testing to deployment, and beyond, helping to link their IT programs to organizational goals. And we offer a complete range of industry-leading services, including systems development, solution and platform integration. Learn more about our Systems Integration practice.
Application Modernization Consultants are required to have:
- 2-3 years of relevant consulting or industry experience
- 1 year of experience leading teams or classroom, intern, or job experiences working in a team environment
- Demonstrated work or classroom experience programming in JEE(J2EE) or .NET – or similar languages
- Completion of at least two relevant college/professional learning courses demonstrating use and knowledge of programming languages or skills
- Classroom, intern, or job experience working with the system development life cycle or implementation of a technology solution, with particular focus on development and testing
- Classroom, intern, or job experiences with solution development and application architecture with JEE(J2EE) or .Net or something similar
- Classroom, intern, or job experiences performing conceptual and technical designs, including the use of object-oriented analysis and design techniques
- A BS degree (or higher) in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- A willingness to travel 80 - 100% of the time
In addition, successful Consultants will have the following preferred background:
- Experience or passion for implementing cloud solutions on Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Understanding of user experience, user centered design and responsive web design
- Experience of DevOps practices and tools
- Testing, including all phases: System, Integration, and Performance Testing and experience with requirements traceability
- Exposure to or understanding of tool based modernization, including code analysis, code conversion and automated testing tools
- Exposure to or understanding of application or core modernization – either through the use of custom-built tools or through MOTS/COTS products
- Exposure to or understanding of mainframe technologies (COBOL, NATURAL, PL/1, VSAM, JCL, ADABASE), either as a programmer or manager of teams who work with these languages
- Experience with software delivery methodologies including, but not limited to, Agile, RUP, or Waterfall
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills (MS Visio, MS PowerPoint)
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
Requisition code: E18WESCCONCH101-T
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top