Analytics Anti-Money Laundering Senior Consultant
As used in this document, "Deloitte Risk & Financial Advisory" means Deloitte & Touche LLP, which provides audit and enterprise risk services; Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP, which provides forensic, dispute, and other consulting services; and its affiliate, Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP, which provides a wide range of advisory and analytics services. Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP is not a certified public accounting firm. These entities are separate subsidiaries of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
At Deloitte, you can have a rewarding career on every level. In addition to challenging and meaningful work, you'll have the chance to give back to your community, make a positive impact on the environment, participate in a range of diversity and inclusion initiatives, and get the support, coaching, and training it takes to advance your career. Our commitment to individual choice lets you customize everything from your career path to your educational opportunities to your benefits. And our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business and your clients' will be heard.
Visit www.deloitte.com/us/careers to learn more about our culture, benefits, and opportunities.
Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP (DTBA) advises clients on managing business controversy and conflict, executing deals, and maintaining regulatory compliance. We provide services to companies throughout their lifecycle from purchasing a company to investigating potential fraud.
DTBA Analytics advises clients on managing business controversy and conflict, executing deals, and maintaining regulatory compliance. We help clients address serious business concerns across a range of corporate activities, such as completing transactions and strategic investments, investigating and deterring potential fraud, managing the litigation process, and preparing for reorganization.
Our work in these areas has earned us recognition as leader among advisory firms. In fact, Kennedy Consulting Research & Advisory ranked Deloitte #1 globally in Forensics and Dispute Advisory Services in 2013, and Deloitte was named a 2013 Kennedy Vanguard Leader in both Forensic & Investigative Services and Dispute Advisory & Analysis Services based on breadth and depth of capabilities.
DTBA Analytics is a fast-growth practice within Deloitte FAS that centers around several of the hottest areas of business today – analytics, forensic analysis, and litigation support – and the specialized skills that make careers in these areas both fascinating and in high-demand. Our Analytics team makes extensive use of data, statistical and quantitative analysis, rules-based methods, and explanatory and predictive modeling to bring insights to client issues in the forensic and transaction domains. We work with Deloitte specialists in many areas, and we apply our solutions to a wide range of highly interesting and complex corporate events, such as forensic investigations, anti-corruption compliance, restructuring, valuation, anti-money laundering compliance, and construction management, to explain what has occurred in the past and to support informed decision making for the future. Our work increasingly employs specialized competencies, such as advanced analytics, visualization, and geospatial techniques.
DTBA Analytics is composed of two Service Areas, which share similar approaches, but offer different experiences and skillsets:
- Data Analytics: This involves strategic analysis of structured (e.g. transactional) and unstructured (e.g. text) electronic data, from initial data scoping and collection through transformation and validation, for purposes of deep data analysis and mining. This analysis is performed as the basis for larger efforts that include rules- and indicator-based testing, inductive reasoning, and visualization techniques. These methods are used to identify, deter, and prevent fraud schemes and scenarios, develop models that depict or describe historical events, and build predictive models for future anti-fraud and anti-corruption efforts. Analytical methods are also commonly used to mine and develop insights into large volumes of data to help navigate intricate legal processes and identify areas of opportunity for business process improvement. Additionally, analytics is often used to assist troubled companies in peer analysis, quantifying opportunity cost, and discerning areas of strategic improvement.
- Application Development: From standalone tools to enterprise web applications, we leverage a modern proprietary services-based development platform and agile methodology to assist clients with processing data, presenting findings, and documenting decisions. We serve both external clients and internal clients with a focus on enhancing existing FAS products and service offerings
- Economic and Statistical Consulting: Here, we apply advanced economic, finance, and quantitative techniques to address complex business and legal challenges, creating strategies and providing expert testimony for government agencies, leading law firms, and corporations. These techniques include development of economic and statistical models and the application of state-of-the-art analytical tools to uncover patterns and correlations in complex data to help predict likely future outcomes.
- Geospatial Consulting: We analyze geographic data, using a combination of spatial software and analytical methods, to assist clients in making strategic decisions, reducing risks, increasing efficiency, and realizing organization goals.
- FAS Analytics Institute (FAI): This is a team of analytics experts from industry and academia, dedicated to researching and developing FAS' advanced analytics capabilities in text, visual, predictive, and geospatial analytics. The FAI develops advanced analytics techniques and approaches that lead to enhancement of existing FAS products and services or the creation of new FAS products and services.
In addition, DTBA Analytics professionals are positioned to team with and provide leadership and guidance to broader Deloitte-wide analytics initiatives and global opportunities. Our practitioners have the opportunity to stay current on the latest analytics tools and techniques, as well as industry and regulatory-specific developments. From a career development standpoint, we offer unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional development afforded by our client base, engagement volume, global exposure, and mentoring programs. In addition to on-the-job training, Data Analytics offers live, in-person, and virtual learning opportunities, external development courses, a four-week boot camp program for campus hires, and an in-person national DTBA Analytics meeting for all practitioners.
Examples of areas in which DTBA Analytics has delivered value to clients include:
- Enhancing a transaction-monitoring program for a financial services client by assisting them in the development of a methodology to analyze, test, and tune various detection scenarios, and assisting them in deploying that methodology.
- Delivering an analytics solution that created a predictive coding model to assist a financial services client with identifying and categorizing an enormous volume of privileged and non- privileged documents related to a large bankruptcy case.
- Helping to resolve a royalty distribution dispute in the client's favor by developing and articulating an economic model that showed how to determine the relative market value of the copyrighted content.
Our dedicated Deloitte FAS professionals bring vast experience, specialized skill sets and deep industry knowledge to our clients. This personalized level of service, combined with the market reach and technical resources of the Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL) member firms and their affiliates, enables us to respond to the complex and diverse needs of our clients around the world.
Senior associates are professionals with a high degree of academic and professional achievement who have demonstrated the capacity and desire for continuous growth and development. Specialists at this level will be expected to query and mine large data sets to discover transaction patterns, examine financial data and filter for targeted information using traditional (SQL Server 2012, Oracle 11.2, Microsoft Access, etc..) as well as advanced visual (Tableau, QlikView, etc..) and predictive analytic methodologies (SAS, neural networks, machine learning, etc…) and software packages. Senior associates will usually work with a manager to design and develop user defined application modules, perform data quality control, develop database reports and user interfaces, and normalize relational data.
Senior associates may work on multiple project work streams, small engagement teams or as part of large, complex engagements. The projects involve detailed data analysis for developing meaningful insights to address regulatory and business challenges across industries. These challenges include helping clients address serious business concerns involving fraud, forensic investigations, litigation, and reorganization. We also advise businesses on valuation issues and other matters (e.g., FCPA, Anti-Money Laundering) to help them remain compliant in today's rigorous regulatory environment.
Typically, Deloitte senior consultants will work on projects that will allow them to collaborate with attorneys, forensic accountants, clients, and other investigators. As part of these projects, you'll be provided the opportunity to demonstrate your technical, project management and leadership skills in an environment that provides for outstanding growth and advancement. Senior consultants will also be looked upon to supervise, lead, and train junior associates in the aforementioned activities. Project teams either work onsite with the client team or from a Deloitte office. Either location may necessitate regular travel and requires flexibility with the significant travel requirements of client service projects.
As a senior consultant you will be asked to make significant contributions in a relatively short time frame, take responsibility for the way you manage your time, develop your skill set, and assist In the delivery of innovative solutions to the client. Your career success is dependent on your ability to personalize your career path and identify and grow your internal and external network. We don't expect you to do this alone - our environment provides multiple opportunities for you to further develop your skills through our training curriculum and mentoring programs.
Sr. Consultant Responsibilities
Engagements include a wide variety of solutions, tailored to the client's need, and are often performed in conjunction with industry and subject matter experts from throughout Deloitte. Responsibilities typical of a senior associate on one of these projects could include:
- Create, manage, and utilize high performance relational databases (SQL Server 20012 Oracle 11.2g, Microsoft Access, OLAP and other proprietary software)
- Query and mine large data sets to discover transaction patterns, examine financial data and filter for targeted information - using traditional as well as predictive/advanced analytic methodologies
- Design and development of user-defined application modules (standard and web-based), perform data quality control, develop database reports and user interfaces, and normalize relational data
- Supervise, lead, and train junior associates in the aforementioned activities
- Provide input with respect to practice technology initiatives and investments
- Assist in preparing and presenting complex written and verbal materials (reports, findings and presentations)
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university
- 3+ years of hands-on technical experience mining and analyzing electronic transactional data with a strong working knowledge of a relevant analytics software, such as SAS or Microsoft SQL Server
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to all levels of client and engagement management
- Capable of balancing multiple projects with strong ability to properly delegate and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated experience related to AML / AML Analytics;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Flexibility to travel up to 100%
- Commitment to personal and professional growth, including the development of peers and junior staff
- Sense of responsibility to self, team and client
- Outstanding integrity, initiative, creativity, and passion
In addition to the above qualifications,
- Educational background in one or more of these areas:
- A dual major/minor combination including technology (e.g. Computer Science or Management Information Systems) and business (e.g., Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Management, Statistics)
- Additional competencies strengthening candidacy:
- Data analytics project experience related to one or more of the following: transaction monitoring system implementation, development of customer risk rating models, customer segmentation, threshold tuning, and data quality assessments.
- Experience working with any of the following AML technology platforms: Mantas, Actimize, SAS, Norkom, Patriot Officer, SearchSpace
- Experience with statistical analysis tools include: SAS, SPSS, Stata
- Experience with statistical techniques to include sampling, optimization, logistic regression, cluster analysis.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Reporting Tools – Business Objects, Reporting Services, etc.
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
- RapidMiner, MATLAB
- Algorithms - Self Organizing Maps, Neural Networks, Decision Trees, Naïve Bayes, etc.
- Big Data Tools – Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Impala, Mahout, etc.
- Experience in web application design, user acceptance testing and rapid software development life cycle
- Experience in a professional services firm
Requisition code: E17NATFSRCJLF011-AA
See Inside the Office of Deloitte
One of the largest professional services organizations in the U.S., Deloitte delivers innovative solutions to the complex business problems facing companies around the world. Deloitte offers rewarding careers in four businesses—audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory. Widely recognized for its inclusion initiatives, Deloitte is committed to building a workplace environment that allows people from all generations, ethnicities, and cultures to be their authentic selves.
Back to top