Staff Engineer (Wireless Stream Processing)
- Palo Alto, CA
The Telco & Edge Cloud Business Unit is looking for talented software developers who have familiarity with LTE, 5G mobile standards. The candidate would be designing and developing a real-time stream processing platform enabling Network AI applications. Our real-time stream processing engine ingests fine-grained subscriber-level wireless network telemetry from a variety of data sources, including the radio access network and core network and then collates, processes the telemetry to determine the network state f or various granularities (per subscriber, per cell) . This network state is then utilized by the Network AI applications for anomaly detection, root cause analysis in order t o optimize user experience.
The team is composed of bright, talented technologists who are exploring and expanding the next generation of mobile technology. This team manages our global compute infrastructure, architects the real-time data-processing software, and builds the distributed software platform.
Job Role and Responsibility
You will be responsible for the business logic of processing network telemetry as well as the overall architecture and scalability of the software system . I n addition to hands-on implementation work , y ou will:
- Architect, collaborate, and build a carrier-grade, scalable software platform
- Work with large volumes of data - design scalable software solutions for data ingestion, parsing and analytics in real time (millions of events per second).
- Work with wireless scientists to understand and implement the appropriate collation/ processing of the ne twork telemetry.
- Collaborate with data scientists to understand requirements and build an efficient stream processing system that enables advanced AI based analytics
- Architect and develop efficient solutions for storing and consuming large volumes of data
- Develop cloud-based distributed software solutions
- MS or PhD or equivalent in EE, CS or related field, with 8+ years of experience in software architecture, design and development
- 3+ years of experience as feature/component lead of complex features/components
- Experience with wireless systems/LTE or 5G mobile standards
- Experience and interest in Distributed Systems, Big Data, Real-Time Streaming/Processing.
- Experience with big data tools - Kafka, Spark, Flink, Hadoop etc.
- Experience writing Java applications in a stream processing framework such as Spark, Heron, Flink
- Agile Software Development expertise.
- Cassandra, InfluxDB , SQL/NoSQL knowledge.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Highly motivated team player
- Experience with working in fast-paced environment
- Good communication and presentation skills
Good to have
- Exposure to Golang
- Exposure to data/ML engineering
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-02-11
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top