Senior Member of Technical Staff (Low-Latency Software Systems)
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware Telco & Edge Cloud Business Unit is looking for a highly motivated Senior Member of Technical Staff to join a growing team that is building a real-time low-latency controller platform for 5G mobile radio access networks. The mobile radio access network is considered the final frontier in software-defined networking and in this role, you will be working on a product that is envisioned to disrupt the telecom industry.
Knowledge about wireless or mobile radio access networks is a plus but not necessary.
- Design and implement various components of a real-time low-latency software platform, including reliable low-latency messaging, real-time packet processing and in-memory database.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team to make the platform cloud native, reliable, scalable and secure.
- Work collaboratively with the product management and solution architecture teams to develop and package a production-grade solution.
- Support production trial and deployment in customers' networks.
- Document design and best practices while developing and deploying product solutions.
- Work in an agile development environment while continuously evaluating and improving engineering processes.
- PhD with 2+ years of experience, or MS with 4+ years of experience, in software design and development
- Strong experience with real-time software systems, including low-latency messaging, real-time packet processing and in-memory databases
- Strong programming skills in C/C++; experience with Go, Python and Java is a plus
- Strong working experience with Linux internals and real-time operating systems
- Strong working experience with IPC (e.g., shared memory), and RPC (e.g., gRPC)
- Hands-on experience with integrating open source frameworks like Redis, Prometheus, ELK into production-grade software
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Highly motivated team player
- Experience with working in fast-paced environment
Good to have
- Specialization in Computer Science/Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Hands-on experience with virtualization including low-latency performance profiling/tuning using NUMA, CPU pinning, passthrough technologies
- Hands-on experience with container/orchestration technologies including Docker and Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience with testing frameworks and white-box testing
- Experience with implementing interfaces using TCP/IP, SCTP/IP, etc.
- Experience with handling data formats like protobuf and JSON
- Exposure to systems security including encryption, decryption and signing
- Exposure to open source solutions for messaging like Kafka, etc.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-04-25
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top