Senior Level Mechanical Architect
- Austin, TX
Dell is looking to add a Senior Level Mechanical Architect to work on future generation PC systems. This person will have a high level of analysis and design skill and will be a lead technical resource in all areas of product design such as thermal, structural, manufacturability, serviceability and reliability. Candidates must be well versed in the core mechanical engineering design and analytical skills in order to affect system-level decisions and represent the team at cross-functional reviews.
From applied research to advanced engineering, the System Architecture team has the expertise to shape ground-breaking products, material and processes. It's a fascinating field of work. We're involved in assessing the competition, developing technology and product strategies and generating intellectual property. We lead technology investigations, analyze industry capabilities and recommend potential acquisitions or vendor partner opportunities. Our insights influence product architecture and definitions. And we work with colleagues across the business to ensure Dell products always lead the way.
- Designs, analyzes, documents and functionally validates mechanical components and assemblies
- Conducts, supports, and participates in engineering tests to validate the robustness and proper performance of new products
- Interfaces w/suppliers, electrical engineering, manufacturing, quality, marketing, industrial design, and other function groups to ensure the successful definition and development of new products
- Utilizes best-in-class tools to develop innovative solutions to highly complex problems
- Mechanical design on assigned platforms, subsystems, and components
- Responsible for supporting and performing testing, analysis and debug of mechanical prototypes
- Contributes to the successful management and consulting of mechanical tooling and first sample development and delivery
- Ensures that comprehensive qualification and subsequent tool revisions are completed
- Ensures deliverables are met per program targets and schedules
- Leads efforts of internal and external mechanical development teams in all mechanical development project activities
- Conducts feasibility studies for new projects leveraging existing designs while also generating new designs and IP
- Thorough understanding of the mechanical development process and an expert in planning and executing associated development activities
- Leads mechanical development activities with minimal supervision on the most complex devices, their subsystems and components
- Supports and influences integration of mechanical strategy across technical disciplines internally and externally
- Leads and directs across products, technical disciplines and core team
- Drives consistency and thoroughness
- Viewed internally as a technology and tools expert
- Demonstrates leadership and mentors others
- Architect and influence future mobile commercial products by providing mechanical and thermal engineering insight/expertise into the product roadmap.
- Feature and Cost trade-off analysis
- Collaborate with cross functional design and marketing teams to identify new technologies and develop proof of concepts to ensure readiness for implementation.
- Incubate, Develop, Prototype and Evangelize next generation mechanical concepts/designs that meet Marketing and Customer requirements.
- Engage and lead ODM and technology partners to identify problems and create solutions.
- Take responsibility for gathering and understanding Marketing and Customer requirements.
- Generate IP to protect innovation
- 5-7 years experience in product design
- Must possess strong communication skills (written and oral) with other company team members and the customer as required.
- Ability to execute Dell's strategic direction
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Graduate degree a pluse
- Desirable Requirements
- 7-10+ years of work experience in design and analysis of electronics enclosures (PC, Server, and/or Consumer Electronics a plus)
- Experience running a core team
- Working with Asian ODM partners
- Experience with 3D CAD systems (CREO experience required) and structural and thermal analysis techniques for small to large electronics packaging systems (Flotherm and ANSYS experience a plus).
- Excellent working knowledge of mechanical engineering and design principles with specific expertise in the areas of design for large-scale production, sheet metal and injection molding, electrical interconnect systems, heat extraction and vibration control.
- Ability to assess and optimize the tradeoffs between thermal, mechanical, and electrical features
- Strong aptitude for interpretation of design, simulations, test, and qualification requirements
- Working knowledge of mass-production manufacturing processes and material costs
- Must be a self-driven individual that has the ability to work independently, regular reporting of progress and status with only general guidance needed
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Employment Opportunity Policy here.
Back to top