- Sofia, Bulgaria
As part of VMware Professional Services Worldwide Center of Engineering (WWCoE), the Engineering Manager will lead and develop a unit performing integrations, orchestrations, and automation solutions for VMware customers that build on top of public VMware products' APIs. The Engineering Manager will work together with other managers, operations, architects, field officers, and stakeholders in the WWCoE and the global VMware PS organization.
The role reports to a Director or Senior Engineering Manager in WWCoE.
Candidates will ideally come from the software product development or consulting services industry with progressive experience as an engineer or architect, team lead, and manager, with solid hands-on expertise in the software development lifecycle (SDLC) and DevOps practices, building and managing multiple engineering teams across multiple locations. The successful candidates shall demonstrate background in the pre-sales, design, development, and implementation of multi-tier complex software applications, systems or platforms, which require high scalability and distribute designs consuming SOAP, REST and vendor SDK interfaces. Experience as an engineer or architect with Virtualized Datacenter design and implementations is a plus. Able to demonstrate involvement and experience in tying together several technology point products into a cohesive solution, particularly through automation, scripting or custom modifications and that have led teams of people providing these kinds of solutions. This role is for candidates that possess the right mix of engineering, people management, planning, and commercial acumen skills.
- Talent management: Building, leading, growing and developing a unit of highly skilled software development and quality engineers (consultants) and team leads located in one or multiple locations across single or multiple regions.
- Hiring, retention, and career development of team leads, software developers, quality engineers in your team.
- Coach and motivate the team to ensure high productivity and teamwork, and help unfold team members potential
- Software engineering lifecycle management using waterfall and agile methodologies
- Operational leadership to drive service and execution excellence
- Project portfolio execution management in conjunction with PSO engagement and Project Managers in the team
- Overall business management within assigned region / territory including supply, demand, capacity, revenue, margin, utilization, quality and customer satisfaction
- Communication management and primary driver of the business cadence with stakeholders within assigned region / territory
- Regular business reporting on plan execution
- Develop and track detailed schedules, dependencies, and critical paths
- Effective collaborate with business and project stakeholders
- Clearly communicate with upper management any risk areas; come up with risk mitigation plans
- Constantly look for improvements in software development and testing processes
- Encourage and drive organization-wide initiatives, which promote innovation and technical excellence and increase the efficiency, effectiveness and business outcomes of the organization
- Interface with other internal teams to prioritize projects, features and functionality based on the resources available, business priorities and need
- Enable efficient and qualitative proposals for customers, by ensuring appropriate needs definition, analyzing customers environment and expectations.
- Build and maintain fearless work environment with high level of trust and psychological safety
- Bachelor's or Master's degree (preferred) in Computer Science or equivalent and 8+ years of related experience in software industry.
- 4+ years of experience managing and growing high-performing software engineering teams
- Excellent people management skills - communication, teamwork, and leadership
- Ability to coach and motivate team members for their ongoing career growth
- Proven success leading projects in fast-paced, growing-organization environment
- Strong cross-functional organizational skills
- Experience in managing distributed, remote teams; ability to influence geographically distributed teams
- Deep (hands-on) knowledge in software development & engineering process is a must - excellent understanding of software development and project management fundamentals is required
- Should have done substantial amount of software development, testing and design work - experience with OOP, scripting languages, DevOps, cloud apps
- Experience managing the development and testing of multi-tier, distributed, multithreaded applications
- Passion for delivering well-written, high-quality, well-architected and well-documented code
- Good commercial acumen, business sense, and strong analytical skills are required
- Experience establishing productive relationships with stakeholders
- Fluent verbal and written English
Considered a plus
- Knowledge of German, French or Spanish languages
- An additional business (MBA) degree
- Flexible working time
- Diverse team and fresh team culture
- Kids-oriented programs - summer schools and events, health insurance plans
- Training and personal development opportunities
- Gradual onboarding, individual plan
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long-term incentives.
- Personal career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, teams of world-wide IT professionals.
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication.
- Work-life balance - 25 days paid vacation, team buildings and celebrations.
- All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Product Dev Management
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-07-29
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top