Manager, Software Development
Get the Product out the Door!
While that may sound harsh, here at Dealer-FX we need Managers who can utilize their skills to help us deliver results to the customer and do whatever is necessary to achieve success. We are an award winning company with a comprehensive suite of products for our OEM clients. We’re first in our space, and we have every intention of keeping it that way. With autonomous vehicles and self-driving cars, automotive technology is taking off and we continue to be forward thinking with our software products.
As our Manager, Software Development you’re smack in the middle of clients, developers, sales, product teams, and you’ll be pulled in many different directions. Do your job well and no one notices, when mistakes happen it’s you they come to first.
A day-in-the-life of this role is pretty much going to look like this (give or take the curveballs, and other surprises that will keep you on your toes): Managing the Development team with clear objectives and removing any impediments to their success, keeping everyone informed and managing expectations with pro-active updates, controlling the development process and ultimately to deploy an outstanding and quality product.
So what does this Development Manager have in their toolbox to make them such a lynchpin in a fast paced and ever changing software company like Dealer-FX? What’s the key to success in this role?
- Stress Management skills that would make a bomb squad jealous; both for yourself and within your team
- Relationship Management abilities that come so naturally to you that you’re always the “go to guy” in any organization
- A keen sense of taking ownership of the practice and the drive to make things better, all the time.
- Delegation skills, but also the knowledge to know when to jump in and help
- Confidence to deliver updates to the team, the CEO, the Client or whoever is requesting them without feeling scrutinized, and realizing that there are bigger things than just you
- Intense attention to detail, processes and a hatred for delivering poor quality.
People like working here because of our immense growth, cutting edge product and new technologies, coupled with teams of people who are passionate, skilled and at the top of their game. We’ve done a good job at creating an environment that supports three pillars we feel are key in a successful company; PEOPLE< CULTURE< PROCESSES. We give our clients “The Best Experience. PERIOD” and we live by that promise. It has a trickle down effect from our C-suite of executives right down to our newest intern.
We support people by giving them some good perks:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Choice of basic or enhanced health benefit plans, dental and vision benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Child care vouchers for back up child care
- Free underground parking
- Paid vacation
- 1 paid annual volunteer day
- Cool company events and team building activities (therapy dogs, axe throwing, archery tag, squash leagues)
So if you think you can help us with our challenges, want to grow and have your work appreciated and noticed then apply today.
We’ve included a traditional list of responsibilities and skills below too.
- Provide technical & process leadership for multiple cross functional teams
- Analyze and help optimize the performance of teams
- Carry out retrospectives + Kaizen initiatives and maintain a sense of autonomy in the team
- Strategically plan long-term continuous improvement initiatives
- Ensure the team is following our core development principles of delivering value to our customers, developing with the highest quality, and doing so with sustainably shortest lead times
- Continuously assist in aligning teams to the department goals & objectives
- Facilitate release planning and provide guidance on sprint activities for your teams
- Provide ongoing support for teams and remove any impediments
- Roll up your sleeves and work closely with the developers to ensure code consistency across teams, and quality / maintainability
- Participate in design discussions with your teams, help bridge the gap between requirements & execution and keep communication efficient
- Participate in interviewing and hiring top talent!
- Carry out regular one-on-ones with team members to mentor, coach, and help them with their professional development
- Excellent verbal & written communication, presentation and facilitation skills
- Excellent organization and time management
- Well versed in the Software Development Life Cycle, and extensive knowledge of Agile and its tools, including Scrum & Kanban
- Strong technical background and a solid understanding of industry best practices, preferably in a Microsoft / .NET environment
- Great understanding of what clean code looks like, and a large desire to work w/ others to help write clean code
- Hands-on experience with Continuous Integration, Automated Deployments, and Release Management best practices
- Proficiency in TFS & Visual Studio Online tools a plus
- Proven track record of leading development teams in the execution of projects on budget & time
- Experience leading teams in building and scaling unit and other test automation suites, knowledge of TDD & BDD
- Experience leading teams in building enterprise level, high performing, scalable cloud based applications
- Proficient in code review best practices
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience leading offshore teams a plus
- Proficiency in JIRA & Confluence a plus
- Great deal of discipline
Meet Some of Dealer-FX's Employees
Supervisor, Client Support
As a supervisor in the Client Support Team, Amanda provides guidance and leadership to a team of support representatives and analysts, ensures her team is up-to-date with product and program developments, and manages processes and best practices in the team.
Back to top