Software Engineer - Site Reliability, Network Edge
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Network Edge team is a mix of software engineering and systems focused engineers who manage the systems exposing our applications and services to the internet for all products. We build load-balancing systems in a multi-cloud environment that can ingest large throughputs and safely react to anomalies (malicious or not). As a first point of contact in the infrastructure there is a huge focus on building robust systems working with all the different intake teams at Datadog for the different products and providing those teams observability into what happens to their traffic at the edge.
As an engineer on the Network Edge team, you will contribute to building the Edge infrastructure required for exposing all Datadog services over the Internet, designing solutions that work at scale and with multi-cloud and multi-region constraints. You will work with infrastructure that is essentially the first system traversed by all of our customers' data so thinking of high availability and resilience at every step of the way.
- Build robust and highly-scalable network infrastructure.
- Debug and maintain day-to-day our existing infrastructure, requiring deep technical analysis and working with our cloud providers to solve unprecedented issues.
- Research or experiment new network infrastructure with the newest features available through our cloud providers or by designing our own solutions when required.
- Build applications and tooling to help automate and manage the network edge infrastructure in a multi-cloud, multi-region, multi-tenant environment.
- Work with product engineering teams to understand the constraints of their customers and design ad hoc solutions to support their traffic.
- You have been dealing with systems at scale processing GB/s of data for 4+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom.
- You have significant public cloud experience.
- You have dealt with critical Internet-facing infrastructure.
- You have worked with load balancing technologies, proxies and with different types of network traffic (TCP, UDP, TLS encryption, DDoS mitigation, ...).
- Resilience and availability are a cornerstone of every change you make and you know how to build secure systems.
- Good understanding of Linux internals.
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers.
- You have some SRE experience (we are also looking for SREs specifically for that team if it's an area of interest to you).
- You have some Software Engineering experience.
- You have worked with Kubernetes ingress technologies.
Back to top