Software Engineer - Event Query
- New York, NY
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Query team is responsible for the query API that sits on top of the event platform. It allows our frontend and public API to run complex queries on our event data. At its core, we have an engine that parses, plans, and distributes these queries, and then aggregates these into final results. The team is responsible for the evolution of these production systems to allow for more powerful queries that run across distributed storage layers.
As a Software Engineer for the Query team, you will be responsible for contributing to the technical vision for how we query the data. You will operate the query engine inside the event platform, as well as build distributed, high-throughput and low-latency systems with a strong focus on availability, resilience and durability. Working closely with our product managers, you will build new features and scale our systems to keep up with the demands of our growing business.
- Code (Go and Java) new and existing services to scale out our events platform pipelines
- Contribute to the design of the query API architecture and surrounding systems
- Debug and solve challenging cross-systems issues in production
- Help improve our engineering tooling and practices
- You have been building applications for 2+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have backend programming experience
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
- You've worked at high scale with systems like Akka, Redis or Kafka
- You’ve written your own data pipelines before
- You have a strong background in statistics
- You have significant experience with Go or a JVM based language
Back to top