Lead Software Engineer
Have you built high-traffic applications for thousands of users? Do you value simplicity over over-engineered solutions? Do you want to work on an elegant solution to infrastructure monitoring that just works for our enterprise and startup clients? If so, read on.
At Datadog, we’re on a mission to build the best monitoring platform in the world. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—and high availability, providing always-on alerting, visualization, and tracing for our customers' infrastructure and applications around the globe.
Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way. Join us as a Lead Software Engineer to manage a team of excellent engineers, own significant chunks of our architecture, design and build systems at scale, and ship to production every day for customers who care deeply about what you build.
In a typical week as a Lead Software Engineer, you might:
- Solve a scaling bottleneck in a critical service
- Deploy a new feature to production, progressively rolling it out with feature flags
- Mentor other engineers on your team
- Investigate and fix a production issue from a service your team owns
- Design a new service and write an architecture RFC
- With your team, plan the most important projects to work on next
- You have been building applications for 3+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have significant backend programming experience in one or more languages
- You can design architecture to solve problems at high scale
- You care about code simplicity and performance
- You have operated systems that you built
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You want to work in a fast, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
- You've worked at high scale with systems like Redis, Cassandra, Kafka
- You wrote your own data pipelines once or twice before
- You have a strong background in statistics
- You have significant experience with Go, C, or Python
Meet Some of Datadog's Employees
Leading eight sales representatives, Jake coaches his team to accomplish ambitious personal and professional goals. He strategizes stellar sales plans, monitors progress, and teaches skills needed to conquer quotas.
Back to top