Engineering Team Lead - Application Performance Monitoring
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
Datadog's APM team is building a world-class tracing product that helps developers see inside complex distributed systems. We're building rock solid libraries to trace requests as they flow across servers, databases, caches and micro-services in all the major languages. We're investing heavily in systems to process a massive firehose of data - fast data pipelines, scalable storage systems and a slick UI to tie it all together. We are a very distributed team; we have teams in New York and Paris and remote folks scattered around the world. Come and join a team that cares about building software the right way.
We're looking for a great team lead who can help build great products, great teams and great software. You'll help drive the architecture of our client libraries and back-end. You'll work to build a productive and happy team. You'll work closely with key customers to ensure we are honed in on their most critical needs. You'll need to be comfortable at many levels of abstraction, like code, customers, people and systems design.
- Manage the engineers on the team, developing their skills and helping advance their careers
- Write a significant amount of code for new and existing services.
- Help scale our data pipelines, storage systems, web platforms and client libraries.
- Own and support the tracing backend systems.
- Ensure the team consistently ships high quality code and architecture
- Run a lightweight agile process to pace and track what we work on and deliver high quality work.
- You have been building applications for 4+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have significant backend programming experience
- You have managed a team of software engineers
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
- You are a master of a couple of programming languages.
- You care about monitoring software.
- You've worked at high scale with systems like Redis, Cassandra, Kafka
- You’ve written your own data pipelines before
- You have a strong background in statistics
- You have significant experience with Go, C, or Python
Is this you? Let's chat!
Back to top