Engineering Manager - Metrics Platform
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to expand and lead our teams building our core Metrics streaming timeseries engines. Datadog is growing rapidly, and the Metrics teams are at the core of our growth: they build and run the intake, storage, and query engines for every dashboard and alert for Datadog’s customers. Today we ingest over 10 trillion points a day, each of which we make available for query in seconds. The platform runs in the cloud, it's always on, low latency and high throughput.
You’ll join at an ideal time to make a big impact. Our systems have scaled well to date, but we now need to expand our capabilities an order of magnitude in three different directions - total volume of points, the cardinality of tags that come with the points, and the number of locations we run in around the world. That is on top of ongoing product improvements like increasing query flexibility, improving performance, and reducing cost. What this means is we need to start building a new generation of storage, which you will lead the team to drive - defining product, designing architecture, managing the team, recruiting excellent engineers.
- Manage and grow teams of talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they’re happy, motivated, and growing
- Work with the product team to flesh out the future of the product
- Work with other managers across the world to deliver cross-cutting projects (e.g. running in multiple regions and clouds)
- Scale the systems to accommodate hyper growth
- Contribute to shaping the future of the engineering organization
- You have been building applications for 6+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have significant backend programming experience
- You have managed a team of software engineers
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- You have managed teams programming in Go and/or Rust
- You’ve worked extensively with (or for) a major cloud provider
- You have built (or built the team that built) a high-throughput, high-performance, cloud based distributed storage system from scratch
- You have experience working with geographically distributed engineering teams.
- You have deep experience with observability products
Back to top