Engineering Manager - Distributed Systems
- New York, NY
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to expand and lead our teams building out core functionality for querying metrics data. Datadog is growing rapidly, and the Metrics teams are at the core of our growth: they build and run the intake, storage, and query engines for every dashboard and alert for Datadog’s customers. Today we ingest over 10 trillion points a day, each of which we make available for query in seconds. The platform runs in the cloud, it's always on, low latency and high throughput.
You will join at an ideal time to make a big impact. We have been expanding the functionality of the Metrics Query engines to support new product and customer querying patterns, adding more robust filtering and controls alongside massive performance optimizations to support higher cardinality data. Looking ahead we want to continue providing a high-performance query experience while expanding our footprint to support queries across the entire Datadog platform (Events/Metrics/APM). What this means is we need to start building out a next generation query language and engine - which you will lead the team to drive - defining product, designing architecture, managing the team, recruiting excellent engineers.
- Manage and grow teams of talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they’re happy, motivated, and growing
- Work with the product team to flesh out the future of the product
- Work with other managers across the world to deliver cross-cutting projects (e.g. integration of other products into a unified query language)
- Scale the systems to accommodate hyper growth
- Contribute to shaping the future of the engineering organization
- You have been building applications for 6+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have significant backend programming experience
- You have managed a team of software engineers
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- You have managed teams programming in Go and/or Python
- You have experience designing and implementing query languages
- You’ve worked extensively with (or for) a major cloud provider
- You have experience working with geographically distributed engineering teams.
- You have deep experience with observability products
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
For more information on how we maintain the privacy of the information you submit as part of your application, please refer to our Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.
Back to top