Director of Technical Program Management
- New York, NY
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
Technical Program Managers (TPMs) are responsible for our most challenging cross-team projects. We are highly technical, organized, and deliver projects across ambiguous ownership lines. When we need to update our platform to work with new infrastructure or implement new system-wide capabilities, our TPMs lead the effort. TPMs are responsible for seeing programs through from beginning to end, ensuring a better workflow and more effective communication. They work closely with executives and key company stakeholders to drive critical programs and activities across the company.
As the Director of Technical Program Management, you will partner with our Engineering leaders to identify opportunities for TPMs to add value by driving programs and finding efficiencies. You will utilize your leadership skills and Program Management experience to grow and mentor the TPM group and oversee the breadth of programs led by TPMs. You’ll set a vision and direction for the team and lead the team to improve productivity, quality standards, resolve systemic problems, and identify trends across the entire organization.
- Define the scope of the TPM organization
- Intimately understand how each eng group functions, and what challenges eng teams face
- Drive process improvements across multiple teams and functions, ensuring the approach is aligned with Datadog’s culture
- Define & remove obstacles that slow down or prevent programs from delivering
- Establish credibility and rapport with senior technical and non-technical team members alike
- Take a hands on approach
- Communicate with senior-level executives - confident/comfortable in the presence of execs
- Be comfortable in an ambiguous environment and respond well to frequent change
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience as a Technical Program Manager
- 5-7 years of experience in leading teams within technical program management or equivalent roles, ideally at a SaaS company
- You can navigate technical conversations regarding cloud-based infrastructure
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle; ability to adjust and apply this knowledge in a dynamic environment using agile methodologies.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, proven ability to track and successfully complete complex programs
- Degree in Computer Science, other engineering discipline, or Information Systems
- You’re familiar with problems that are solved by monitoring tools
- Experience working in a company in a hyper-growth stage
- Experience growing a team (identifying roles, partnering with recruiting to hire)
Back to top